Chapter 3: New Case

Judy headed to work as normal the next morning, the events of yesterday still running fresh through her mind. She made no attempt of starting conversation with Clawhauser, and went straight to roll call after signing in. When Bogo came in, she sat patiently, awaiting her task. She was a hundred percent sure that she would be given parking duty, but was dropped with quite the opposite.

"Hopps, I am officially assigning you to The Preds case after McHorn and Delgato dropped out," Bogo announced through roll call. "The first out of fifty murders was committed yesterday, the victim being a pig."

Bogo continued with his lecture but Judy blocked him out. All she could think of was the case, and how she was going to solve it without a partner. Sure, she had solved cases on her own in the past, but none of them were as important as this! So, as soon as roll call ended, Judy hopped off of her seat and sprinted straight to her office - collecting the case file from Clawhauser on her way of course - before getting down to business.

~*~

The Preds had a lot of cases around them, and it took Judy a full two hours to go through all the files and scribble down important notes with her trusty carrot pen. Just as she full-stopped her last sentence and was about to get to work on further research, there was a knock on Judy's office door.

"Come in!" She called out to whomever was on the other side of the door, feeling a surge of excited electricity run through her veins.

This was so exhilarating! Judy was actually working an important case! (Not to mention on her own.) She felt proud and imagined what her parents would say once she captured The Preds and had them locked up, but her thoughts were cut short when her office door opened, revealing Clawhauser.

"Oh, hey, Ben!" She waved, swivelling round in her chair to face the cheetah. "What'dya need?"

"Hey Judes, this fox was brought in a few minutes for attempting to rob a bank and was given a punishment of six months community service. Naturally, I was going to have him work down at filing, but Chief Bogo thought you would need a hand with The Preds case, so he was assigned to you," Clawhauser explained, as happy as ever.

Judy raised an eyebrow in confusion, giving the cheetah a look that told him to carry on.

"So, I give you your new partner for the next six months: Nicholas Wilde!" Clawhauser concluded dramatically, stepping aside to show a rather shifty fox standing on the doorway.

Judy felt her stomach drop. That fox...he was the same fox from yesterday, and he would be working, here, at the ZPD with Judy...for six months?! Judy didn't like the sound of that, but she couldn't concentrate on what she felt as the fox gave her his signature devious smirk from yesterday, setting her heart off on a nervous beating spree.

"Nice to meet you, Carrots."

~*~

I know, I know, short chapter. And sadly the next chapter will be a bit short too, but it's about quality not quantity! 😊