0 - Prologue

Sam

My mum and I had been sitting in the waiting room for at least half an hour as the other parents and possible future students went into the next room, to exit about ten minutes later.

"Ms Perez?" A young woman with a clipboard finally called our names and we stood. I straightened my thin-rimmed glasses and followed my mum as we walked to the next room. Sitting at a desk with a sheet of paper was an elderly man. We took two of the seats on the opposite side of the table, leaving the third empty.

"Thank you for coming, Ms Perez," the man begins. "my name is Mr Rith, I will be the human principle at the school." Mr Rith's grey hair was cut short and his beard was faint but visible. He was also wearing a formal-looking brown blazer.

"It's nice to meet you, Mr Rith." My mum responds.

"Hello Mr Rith," I say as I reach across the table, "my name is Sam." Mr Rith takes my outstretched hand and shakes it firmly. The two adults begin chatting about some school details, and I find myself staring blankly at a pen as if it has a hypnotic pull.

I mean, it doesn't. It's just a pen.

"Sam, I'm sure you are aware that the school you will be attending is not only a boarding school, but you will also be attending classes with enormen?"

"Yes, sir. I'm aware of both." I answer.

"Good, good." Mr Rith smiles and checks his paper. "I believe that is everything we needed to cover. I hope to see you next year."

My mum stands and I do the same a moment later. "Thank you, Mr Rith." She says.

* * * * * * * * * *

"What do you think?" My mum asks as she opens the car door. I settle down in the passenger seat before continuing the conversation.

"Think of what?" I ask nonchalantly.

"The school, would you like to attend?"

I can't hold back my grin as I reply. "Definitely."