Chapter 3

“So why are we sitting in my room with a bunch of wigs?” Valerie asked as she watched Isaac carefully lay out the last of the false bits of hair on her bed.

            “Because dear, when we go back people will be looking for us. Both the psycho godmother’s people and Darren’s people. So we need disguises. And because we don’t want to draw attention, I’m dressing you as a man,” Isaac replied, grinning at her.

            “Why a man?”

            “Because I assumed you wanted to keep your sword. If you don’t I can easily-”

            “A man’s fine. I was a tomboy for most of my childhood,” she said quickly, cutting him off.

            “Yes well it’s a pity your figure isn’t anywhere near the same as it was when you were young,” he said as he walked around her. “I mean what kind of guy has an hourglass figure?”

            Valerie crossed her arms over her chest. “There’s nothing wrong with my figure. Well…not much. Taking up karate and swordwork has tightened my butt and legs up but I still have-”

            Isaac waved her complaints away. “That’s not the only problem. Your breasts, while lovely on a woman, are disturbing on a guy. Hmm…I think I was right and I’m going to have to pad you. Probably quite a bit. Thankfully it’s cooled down or you’d probably sweat your way out of what I’m about to do to you. Now stay where you are and do what I tell you.”

            At Isaac’s commands, Valerie lifted her arms to allow him to bind a stuffed tube around her waist. Then he wrapped a smaller tube around her chest before giving her a pair of pants and a long sleeved shirt stuffed with cotton to put on. Then he had her jump, punch, roll, and all in all fight in it. Then he made her stand again while he adjusted the fit of the tube around her waist. Only when he was certain she could move easily in it did he step back and look her over.

            She shook her head. “Where on earth did you learn to do this?”

            He chuckled. “Sweetie I spent a lot of time around the theatre types because it was they were where boys of my type tended to gather in my high school. And because, let’s face it, I’m far too likely to start laughing during a play, I used to help out with the makeup department. Now don’t think that we’re finished. I still need to deal with that hair and face of yours. Sit!” He cired, pointing at her desk chair.

            She walked over, still surprised at how light he’d managed to make her padding. “Are you going to cut my hair short?”

            Isaac gave her a look of mock horror. “Sacrilege!” he yelled, then grinned. “Firstly, that’s the only bit of girlyness you indulge in and I’m not about to take that away. Secondly, Darren will hurt me. He likes your hair long. Thirdly, in the unlikely event that something goes wrong, your hair is your most identifiable feature. If you need to run or need people to help you, being able to prove who you are will help. So you’re getting a wig and a hat. I hope you’re not prone to itchy head because that could cause issues.”

            Valerie rolled her eyes. “I’ll be fine. And Darren can go screw himself. He has no right to have anything to do with my decisions after drugging me like that. And I’m going to tell him that. After I kick his ass.”

            Isaac chuckled behind her. “I don’t doubt you will. Now hold still.” She watched in the reflection of her computer of her computer screen as he quickly braided her hair into one long plait. When he was done, he wound it around and around her head, tying it together with a variety of hair ties and holding it against her scalp with what seemed like an entire box of bobby pins. Then he made her shake her head rapidly back and forth. Only when he was satisfied that her hair wasn’t coming undone did he go over to her bed and pick out a wig.

            He came back with three, all in shades of dark brown or black. “Thankfully you have dark eyebrows so we don’t have to try and dye them. Now do you have a preference?”

            She shrugged making him grin. “Oh goody! I love dressing people up.”

            Before she could say anything, Isaac was there, jamming one of the dark brown wigs onto her head, checking it for coverage and tone matching. He frowned when he compared it to her skin but shrugged. Nothing but exposure to the sun was going to make her look any less pale. Satisfied with the wig, he grabbed the scissors off the desk and began cutting away at the edges, giving the ruler straight hair some style. Only when he was satisfied that the hair cut would help make her face look fuller, did he allow her stand.

            Valerie stared at the new version of herself in her floor length mirror. She poked her new belly, rubbed a few strands of her new hair, and squeezed her new legs. “Seriously, how the hell did you learn to do this?” She said, turning slowly to stare at him.

            Isaac’s grin widened. “I have many hidden talents. You have only scratched the tip of the iceberg.”

            She shook her head. “I can’t believe it. I really don’t look like myself.”

            “Yes but there are still two problem. One, you’re going to have to wear padded gloves. But you’re going to have to take them off the fight so you’re going to want to practice that. The other problem is your voice. While it’s luckily on the lower end of the scale, it’s still clearly a woman’s voice. Do you think you can pitch it lower?”

            “I can try,” she said, sounding stupid even to her own ears.

            Isaac laughed. “You don’t want people to contemplate throwing stuff at you.”

            “How about this?” she said, trying to sound burly but coming out halfway between a Scottish accent and a goat.

            Isaac just shook his head, voice failing to come out around his guffaws.

            She frowned and instead of trying to make up her own voice, tried to mimic someone she knew’s. She decided on her old English teacher from high school. She couldn’t imagine anyone having met him where they were going. “And now?”

            Isaac’s laughter slowed, then stopped altogether. “Do that one again.”

            “Hi, my name is Mr. Riddell and I’m an asshole. I don’t care how much effort you put into your work, I’m going to grade you based on who I like. You kids can all suck my balls.”

            He chuckled again but nodded. “Much better. Just make sure you keep that one up. Can you do it?”

            “I’m going to have to aren’t I?”

            Isaac nodded, sobering in an instant. “Yes. I don’t think things are going to be even remotely easy for us.”

Note: Last for today. At least one tomorrow