Chapter 11

Blake knew he was in trouble. Shortly after his talk with Darcy, Riset had made his way over, trash talking him and tormenting him by talking about his imminent death. He knew that no matter what happened with his fight with Durand, or his attempt to kill Seamus for Riset, he was going to end up getting killed sooner or later. And there was no guarantee that anyone would look out for Reggie after that, or if they would turn on him too. So he did the only sensible thing; he prepared for his death. And first thing was first, he called Murray.

Blake still had the card Murray had given him, when he was dropped off at the prison, in case he came up with any information that the agency would be interested in. He wasn't a snitch yet, and he wasn't going to get any special treatment for reporting that information. But he knew that it was really a safety net in case he decided to spill everything he knew about Kelly. He waited patiently, after calling Murray and being informed that he would visit 'imminently', wondering how many days it would take for him to make the trip.

To his shock, his guard approached him just two hours later, to say that he had a visitor waiting for him. He went through the usual routine, sticking his hands through the gap in his cell door, getting his cuffs put back on, stepping back as the door was opened and being dragged along the corridor to the room where he usually met his lawyer.

"Blake. I can't exactly say it's a pleasure. What do you want?" Murray asked as he took his seat, leaving his briefcase at his feet. He had been so intrigued by the message from his secretary, that Blake wanted to see him urgently, that he had borrowed one of the agency helicopters to get him there right away. If he had information on Kelly or any of the other dirty dealings he had been involved in, he wanted to know about it.

"I need your help." Blake began bluntly, knowing there was no point in beating around the bush. It was too late for that. His head was on the chopping block and time was running out. He needed to say what needed said before Murray lost interest and took off. "Reggie's been poking around Reed and the kids again, and he got out safe. But he's still scared, especially of Kelly. He's a bit of a loose canon lately. I made a few deals with the other prisoners to keep Reggie safe on the outside...but I think it's going to backfire." He confessed, trying to give as much information as possibly. He might not get a second chance. If anyone found out what he was up to, even the guards on Seamus' pay roll, then he was dead before he even made it back to his cell.

"I made a deal with the head of an Irish gang, Seamus, and he'll protect Reggie on the outside if I return the favor. One of his kids is being hassled by some pedophile so I'll take care of him, to keep Seamus' kid safe and that'll be my debt paid. The problem is that the guy, Durand is built like a brick and no-one has ever risked taking him on and lived to admit it." Blake continued, able to see that Murray was amused but not exactly interested in his story. But he wanted to say it all and get it off his chest in case it was the last thing he ever said. He had never been so scared before, except when Murray had threatened to leave him in a room with Reed for a day, with no cameras or security.

"Then there's my old friend Riset. He wants me dead either way. So he says he'll take care of Reggie, before and after I'm gone, if I kill Seamus. Which is impossible. If I do manage it, his crew will kill me. If I don't, Seamus will kill me. Either way Riset is happy." He sighed, raking a hand through his hair and looking over Murray's shoulder to make sure that they were still alone. The guard waited outside the door, as per Murray's request. He didn't want anyone hearing about the agency who didn't already know.

"And what do you expect me to do about this? If you think I can get you out of this mess, then you're solely mistaken Blake. I don't deal with prison politics." Murray admitted that he didn't concern himself with badly made deals. Or prison politics, because it got too messy. Even when Reed had been undercover in a prison during his rookie years, he had managed to get by much more successfully than Blake was managing. And he hadn't even been a real criminal.