Chapter 3

It was a week later before Reed got any more information concerning Reggie's reappearance in their lives. Faith had settled down just a little and the kids were acting as if they hadn't just been reacquainted with their father after five years of being apart. All in all, Raidon was taking it the worst. Reed suspected that was because of Ayah's belief that he was in love with Faith and now felt he couldn't admit it. And even he had to admit it was rotten luck. But there was very little he could do about it. So he was at work, on another long Thursday, accepting donations and receiving goods that had been loaned out to other museums and were only just being returned.

It was a tedious job and with Carter hovering in the background like a yattering twit, he seriously wished he had stuck to his original idea and kept his family well away from the Davenports. But they were Ayah's family, flawed as they were, so he bore it quietly, through gritted teeth. The whole time Carter went on about the possibility of damages and how the other museum would pay heftily if there was so much as a scratch on any of his items.

That was, until he was safely back in his office, filling out the paperwork that said the items had been returned. He was so engrossed in his work that he barely noticed the squeak of the door opening and was unaware of another person being in the room until a newspaper crashed onto his paperwork. The moment he looked up, he knew he was in trouble. Ayah looked furious.

"Do you see that? Reggie only came back for Dicken! He's going to take him away!" She claimed in a heartfelt cry that any mother would have equaled in the same situation. He was so shocked by the words that he instantly grabbed the paper and began reading the story on the front page. A prominent businessman in the local community had passed away. The article focused on the death, and the fact that his son, Reginald had recently returned from a 'long spell of solitude' to reclaim the family business. Reed supposed that was one way to explain away a prison sentence in a newspaper.

"Reggie is Blake's brother! Their father died shortly after they got arrested and now that Reggie's out on good behavior, he's able to make a legal claim to the family business. But to get it, he needs a legal heir. That's why he came back." Ayah continued in despair, flopping down into the seat across from his desk, before holding her hand to her head. She was obviously at her wits end worrying for her sister and her sisters children. It was his job as her husband to reassure her that it didn't mean he was after Dicken; however, he made the mistake of thinking out loud.

"The article doesn't really specify a male heir. He could probably settle for taking Clare." He mused thoughtfully. It was simply his logical mind working overtime but he realized it might have been a mistake.

"Reed!"

"Look, this isn't anything to worry about. Dicken and Clare live with us. When I'm not there Raidon is, when he's not there Gideon's hanging around. Faith and you are always at home, and always take the kids to and from school. They have to pass by Anita to get to our house anyway." Reed sighed as he tried to be calm and sensible enough for both of them. Ayah was well into panic mode and although there was clearly no opportunity for Reggie to get to his children and get them alone, he wasn't sure what other way to say that. But Ayah needed more, glaring at him as if she didn't care whether Reggie had the opportunity or not, so he tried again.

"I know, but just calm down and think logically. Without the opportunity to get them alone, he's got no chance of getting hold of them. Without getting hold of them, he can't steal them away and he can't use them to get what he wants." Getting out of his seat, he abandoned the newspaper to the desk and crossed to his wife, giving her a comforting hug. He could tell that if anything happened to Faith or the kids, it would utterly and completely break her heart. And he couldn't let that happen. They had almost lost each other numerous times, they had almost lost Olivia twice. They were no strangers to danger and personal threat, but somehow, any danger reaching her sister had her wound up more than usual.