Chapter 55: Onto a New Dawn

A/N: This is the last chapter of the story. Thanks to anyone who has read it all the way through. Enjoy, many more stories to come!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Like I thought, the flames hadn't died down for a while. The last of them faded away by dawn. Anyone who was still alive, or at least not seriously injured, helped clear away the dead. Counting the casualties, there was a good hundred. Maybe more. I wasn't totally sure.

Michael had managed to beat Beowulf, but in the end he let the wolf go. "I thought it wasn't right for me to kill him. It's not my business of what he did to you," He told me. In a way, I was thankful. I didn't want his death in my thoughts. There was a possibility he would come back, realizing what he did wasn't in the right. Of course, he could want revenge for me killing his son. Either way, I had a feeling I'd end up seeing him again.

My arm was bandaged up. It felt dead, yet I could still move it around like normal. There was barely any feeling, yet it was like my arm was totally normal. Using the gem magic had cost me. Not only did my arm change, but my ears and fangs became pointer, sharper even. My eyes were the same, but had an overall more calming and concluded look within them.

Speaking of my eyes, the left one was wrapped up in a thick gauze, just like the other wounds on my body. I looked like a mummy. It made me laugh a little each time I looked in the mirror, although, that was pretty painful.

Cynthia and I were in my room. She just finished putting my hair in a ponytail, then left me alone to rest. I'm not one for calm rest, so instead, I went out onto my room's balcony, and watched the sun rise.

How long was I there? 5 minutes? 10? It was hard to tell. My head was wrapped around everything else. At my request, Richard gave Luna a proper burning and burial. Truth be told, I didn't think she deserved it, but I wouldn't feel any better if I just left her out to rot in the soil, even if that was the better option. After that, I tried talking to Zhaniah, but she wouldn't speak to me, or anyone for that matter. She was pretty shaken, that much I could tell.

It took me a while to realize how tired I actually was. My eyes started fluttering shut, so I took myself to my bed, lied down, and quickly fell asleep.

My eyes opened slowly later on. The sun was a bright orange, and the light was peeking through the window. Yawning, I sat up, rubbing my eyes, then looked at the wolf sitting by my bed, watching me. "Hey little guy." I pet the wolf, to which he licked my fingers and nuzzled up to me. "I haven't seen you in a while.. Sorry buddy.." He howled quietly, rubbing against my stomach. "Where's your master?" He looked at me, yellow eyes calm, a slight worry within, but it sooned turned to happiness, and he rose his paw, pointing behind me.

Arms wrapped around me in a tight hug, and a gentle, soothing voice touched my ears. "You're finally up.. I thought you might've..."

"Not possible. I'm a lot tougher to kill, ya know." She chuckled, rubbing my back. "Good.. Thank you.." I looked at her. "For.. Well, saving me.. Basically..."

I stopped her. "Don't sweat it.. I did what I needed to." She watched me for a moment, then nodded and turned away. "Well, I should probably let you rest."

"Actually," I muttered. "I could use a little company.. I'm still kind of shaken about everything.." Nodding, she moved next to me, the wolf spreading himself across our laps. I gave him a gentle rub, smiling gently. I had a vision of something like this. As weird as it was, and as childish as it seemed, I always wanted to be a father. Be there and raise a kid, preferably a daughter over a son. Be happily married and live on the rest of my life in happiness and peace.

Sucks I won't be able to trust myself anymore with that dream.

Something had changed inside me. Of course, if anyone found out that they were just being used, for every single moment, and every decision that you thought you made turned out to be influenced by an outside source, someone or something who put you through everything in your life for their own personal goals. It leaves a hollow feeling. I couldn't find a single trace of happiness within me at the moment. Even if I smiled, it was a mask, something to cover the tears I felt inside.

What was left for me at the moment now? Go back to the guild? I would have to, but I don't think I could interact with anyone like I used to. Loneliness would eventually grip me again. I'd end up alone like before, bitter at the world for my shortcomings. The feeling wasn't going anywhere, and it'd probably well up so much I have to leave after all. Say goodbye for good. Go into seclusion, locked away from the world, like a demon that was sealed off from his own world. Is that how my chapter is supposed to...

Zhaniah rest her head on my shoulder. It caught me by surprise, but her eyes were fluttering shut. "Don't think you can leave..." She looked at me tiredly. "I'm sticking by your side. I'm sure if anyone should watch you, it should be me.. Jocelynn would agree.."

Would she? My condition was always something she would worry about, and at the moment, from wherever she was, she couldn't interact with me. Maybe Zhaniah was doing this for her. Maybe she was worried about me just as much.

My lips rose in a soft smile. "Yeah.. You're right. Thanks."

"No need.. Just, don't abandon us." She paused a minute, then moved slightly closer. "Or.. Don't abandon me.."

"Are you confessing?" I said, jokingly shocked. She blushed massively, and pushed me away. "Say that again and I'll kill you!" I doubled over laughing, holding my stomach. She huffed at me, grabbing my shirt. "Be grateful a Queen is offering to take care of you!" I nodded to her, hugging her tight. "Thank you.."

"If you ask me for a kiss, I'll make your wounds worse..."

"Oh yeah I know.." I looked up at her, then at the sunset. "Long years ahead... But, if you're willing watch my back, I'll gladly accept!" I gave her a gentle poke, hoping to provoke her. I got just the reaction I was looking for. She stood up abruptly, smiled and poked me back. "We're even."

"Yeah," I winked at her. "We are."