Chapter 7: Crystal Cave

My vision continuously changed the closer we got to the cave. My vision had focused tremendously since I got to this world, but I never had any actual time to notice the change. Not having to wear glasses was a massive plus, at least now, I don't have to worry about breaking a pair and having to buy another.

Crystals were lined up along the cave entrance. Outside, it was pure rock, but once we walked in, it was like a completely different world. Zhaniah and I quickly began collecting as many crystals as we could, being careful not to do anything that might disturb something hidden in here. "How many of these do we need," I asked, placing my tenth crystal in the old sack she gave me. Zhaniah paused a moment, thinking. "Honestly.. I'm not sure. Let's get a few more, then get out of here."

Nodding, I returned to collecting. The area became grey again, the gaseous aura flowing around us. I stopped momentarily, looking towards it direction. I wasn't exactly sure if it was hostile or not, but a couple seconds later, I saw the silhouette of something, a beast most likely, and placed the sack down. "Zhaniah.. Grab your spear and watch your back."

She turned to me then. "What for?"

"I... Can't exactly answer that. I can just.. see something over there..."

"It's nothing but darkness over there..." She sniffed towards that direction, then clutched her staff. "I can definitely smell something foul over there..."

"Stay back." I said, slowly moving forward. My body grew hot, and I noticed I was getting antsy, excited even. I wasn't sure why, but the feeling made me think I was ready for a fight, and secretly wished for one. As I approached, it got increasingly darker, to the point I couldn't see the outside light from where I had entered, and I could hear subtle shuffling, and the sound of chewing just around the corner. I took a deep breath, and peaked.

There was a hairy beast. Its back was turned to me, but the hair itself was the deepest of black. The bones of another small animal piled up next to it, its back hunched over as it feast on the small prey. A stain of blood trailed from the entrance across from the beast, and it looked stained. My eyes were locked on it, the gaseous glow seeping from its front. "Really best not to disturb it... Whatever it is..." I turned to leave, until a heavy snap filled around me. I swore mentally, looking down at the broken crystal shard beneath my foot. There was two things that came to my mind then. First, my skin was apparently harder than crystal, otherwise I wouldn't have been able to snap it without noticing it. Secondly, was the instinct to dodge as the beast turned the corner, roaring loudly and trying to bite my throat. My feet scurried, carrying me back as far as I could until I reached Zhaniah. Without warning, I told her to grab the sacks of crystals and run. She was going to argue, until the beast roared loudly, racing after us. She nodded to me, taking the sacks and her wolves and running off, leaving me to deal with the monster. I was hoping this meant she had faith I'd come back. I turned, flames bellowing around me, and raced at it. It lurched at me, gripping my shoulders and digging its claws into my skin. So this thing can easily cut through crystals. Not good for anyone it gets its hands on.

Looking up close, I noticed the beast had a combination of wolf and ape like features. Sharp jagged teeth, a reddish face, and hungry, yellow eyes. My grip locked on its snout as it began snapping at me, trying to sink its teeth in my skull. I moved my head as much as possible, short of being held in place. Bringing my knee back, I raised it sharply, slamming it into the beast jaw and shutting its mouth. As I did, one of its teeth came loose and hit the floor. I broke free, grabbing its hind legs, spinning and throwing it back further into the cave. Seconds later, it came racing back, eyes filled with anger and fury. I ducked under its swipe, bringing my flame swallowed fist up and striking its cheek. I threw another punch, hoping to connect again, but the beast gripped my wrist, smiling. I prepared another with my free hand, and it caught that one too, getting close to my face. "A human dare steps in my cave? Do you have a death wish, meatbag?"