The Hunger Games Are Not In Prim's Favor

"Primrose Everdeen!" Effie says overly excited. I clutch my shirt. The reason I am acting this way?  I am the girl whom Effie just announced. I am going to the arena. I am going into The Hunger Games. I am going to die. This has to be a mistake. I was in it one time. Only once!

I can't feel my body. It's numb. I want to collapse and cry.  Can the ones standing by me hear my heart beat? I feel sick.  

"Any volunteers to take little Prim's place?" Effie asks. I turn back to Katniss, who is frozen in place, and whose eyes are prodigious. 

"Alright then, Prim come up to the stage."  My legs feel weighted, my tongue is dry, but reluctantly I walk up to the stage. I hear Katnisss screaming, " I take her place."

"Sorry dear", Effie says. "You didn't come up when I asked for volunteers. Therefore Prim is our girl tribute this year."

Katniss's eyes are full of tears I know she is about to fight, but Gale comes and pulls her off stage. He is afraid Katniss will get in trouble for auguring. Being rebellious in any form could get you your tongue cut  off, or worse. I guess it's that way because they are afraid a little rebellion could end up with us rising up against the capitol. 

Effie then draws out the boy tribute. She smiles cheerfully at the crowed before revealing the name.  "Peeta Mellark!" she yells

A handsome boy, with blonde hair, and dashing blue eyes,  walks up on stage. He is trying to be calm, but he is shaking badly. I fear that he may pass out. I feel so bad for him. 

Effie tells us to shake hands, so I do so. I look into his eyes. They are full of fear.  I walk off the stage, not looking back at Effie once. Her smile makes me sick. 

 Peacekeepers roughly grab my frail arms, and take me in a room. I sit there waiting for people to wish me good bye.The room is huge but I feel so claustrophobic in it. 

First comes in Katniss and my mother. Katniss is crying, sits down on the couch behind us, and sits me on her lap.

I have never seen Katniss weep, so the water running from her eyes frighten me. I want  to tell her that it'll be okay, but I am a terrible liar. 

"Listen Prim," Katniss wipes her eyes. "You may be little but you are strong. Have faith in yourself. Makes allies and work hard.  And don't ever, I mean ever, give up. When things get hard, you fight harder." 

"Katniss", I whisper, "I am so young."

Katniss gives me a firm shake, "Don't talk that way. You are a Everdeen. You are strong." She then reaches into her pocket and hands me a little pin with a mockinjay on it. 

"I got it this morning. I want you to take it with you. It'll protect you, and keep you safe."

She places it in my hands, and I force a smile on my face. "Thank you, Katniss."

The peacekeepers  come in to take them out, and for the second time today, Katniss tries to argue.

"FIVE MORE MINUTES PLEASE," She screams. No use, They drag her out, and slam the doors behind them.

Then,  in comes Gale. He is my sister's best friend, and he is close with me too. He gives me a little hug, and tells me to race out of the Cornucopia as fast as possible. Don't stay. No use in giving me advice. I will be dead in a second.

"Take care of my big sister," I snivel. 

He pats my back, "I always will."

Tears fill my eyes and I nod slowly.

The Peacekeepers now pull him out, and I sit alone.

After about ten minutes The peacekeepers  march in , and grab my arms, pulling me off the couch.

It's time for me to enter the train that will be going to the Capital. 

As I enter the train, I see Peeta. His eyes are swollen, and he looks awful. 

I don't blame him though, I probably look worse than him, like a puffed up whale.

As terrible as everything was I do admit though, the train was fantastic. The maids took us to a nice table with loads of food.

I have never seen so much food in my life. Big plates of rolls, meat, and dessert sit in front of me, 

Katniss is great at bringing home food, but not near this much.

I take in the scent of the food around me. I breathe in hard and exhale slowly.  

I stuff my mouth with steak, mash potatoes, and rolls. Oh, the rolls were so beautifully made. They were so soft and the butter was so creamy.

I see Peeta is also enjoying the food. He looks like a chipmunk with all the food in his mouth. I almost laughed.

Then came in Haymitch, and I lost my appetite admittedly.