Ending

Years later...

"Are you ever going to tell me what happened between you and Evan?" Oliver asked me as I drove towards our home. I shook my head and he sighed. "Seriously Autumn, you two were like the ultimate couple ever since I could remember. I don't remember a time when you two weren't dating. What happened?"

I shook my head again, resting my head against my fist and continued to drive into our neighborhood. "I would tell you what happened between Evan and I if you tell me what happened in your bro-ship between you and Leo," I negotiated with him. 

Oliver shook his head this time, "That's personal."

"See," I stated, "What happens in our personal lives, is just that, personal." I saw our house start to show up in the distance. "How long have I been away?"

Oliver chuckled at my question and I started to slow the car down so that I could turn into the driveway. "How long have were you away from civilization when you were in the Middle East?" 

I shrugged my shoulders. "I only had my camera and a laptop with no wifi but every once in a while I did use a webcam to talk to the Dallas Morning News," I explained to him. "I don't really know how long I was away. But how did you beat me to the airport? Mom and dad had no way of picking me up or even see me when I came in, so how did you get here? You don't even have your license or permit yet."

"I told mom that I was going to rent an Uber and I called them and paid them and waited for you to show up," he Oliver explained. "They told me that you were going to rent a car.'

"Ok," I droned on.

"How was shooting World War Three?" he asked me. 

I rolled my eyes at him, "It's not World War Three, but there is a war going on. I did get a lot of pictures of the war though and they are going to be on the Dallas Morning News website and in the newspaper."

"I know," he said. "Mom and dad subscribed to the newspaper so that they could still see your pictures and have a sense that you were still close even though you were in another country." Oliver paused to think, "Is that why you and Evan broke up? Did you meet someone when you were out there?" 

"Oliver," I groaned, "I said drop it." 

I turned into the driveway and turned the car off. Before I could open the door of the car, I saw mom and dad rush out of the house to greet me. "Autumn!" they both said at the same time and hugged me until I couldn't breathe. 

I laughed at their reaction of me being back home and hugged them tightly back. "How's it going, guys?" I asked them as I pulled away. 

Dad waved his hand, telling me that he did not want to take about what was happening in their life. "What is going on in your life? I heard that you and Evan broke up," he gave me a sympathetic look.

"What are you thinking about?" Evan asked me. 

I ignored him and rolled over so that I was resting on my stomach. I felt the blanket that was wrapped around fall off of my back, making it in plain view for Evan to see. My eyes closed as I felt his hand rub up and down it, making me relaxed. "I'm thinking about us," I whispered. 

"Really?" he seemed shocked that I would thinking about us. "Anything in particular?"

"What do you imagine our future looking like?" I asked him sitting up. The blanket fell below my breasts and I had to pick it back up to cover them. It was not because I felt uncomfortable being around Evan, I have been naked around Evan plenty of times, but it felt like we were talking about something more intimate than sex.