Chapter 17: Fire hazard

Chapter seventeen:

Aaron and Willow had just gotten out of the building when all of a sudden one of the thugs fired a very large flare gun that went right over Aaron and Willow's heads.

Aaron knew exactly what kind of flare gun that was, and he knew what was going to happen when the flare hit the trees in the woods. Aaron grabbed Willow's arm and started to run.

"We have to get out of here now!" he yelled just as the flare hit the trees.

All of a sudden the trees exploded causing the other trees around them to burst into flames and it kept spreading to other trees. Everywhere around them was smoke and falling branches that were engulfed in flames.

"What do we do?!" Willow choked from the smoke. Aaron didn't stop moving, he knew he couldn't let the thugs catch them.

"We have to keep moving!" he picked Willow up and ran through the forest of fire.

"No! Aaron! Stop!" Willow pulled away from Aaron and fell to the ground. "We have to stop the fire!" Willow struggled to breath. Aaron looked back toward Don's place.

Those guys would kill them if they caught Aaron and Willow. Aaron looked back at Willow who was coughing. Aaron knew that he had to do what was right, that's what superheroes do.

"Fine, I'll absorb the flames!" Aaron ran off into the fire until Willow couldn't see him.

"Hurry! The smokes getting thicker!" Willow started to feel a little light headed. Aaron concentrated as he felt the fire going through his body.

Slowly the flames started to vanish as Aaron absorbed them. Soon there was nothing but the smell of ash. The trees were all smoked but at least the fire was gone. Aaron breathed heavily and fell to the ground, exhausted.

"Willow, are you ok?" Aaron called out but there was no reply. "Willow?!" Aaron called again and got to his feet. Willow was nowhere in sight.

"I've got you now pretty boy." a voice rang out behind Aaron. Aaron whirled around to see one of Don's thugs and he was holding a hand grenade. Aaron glared and ignited his hands.

"Where's Willow?" Aaron snarled at the thug. The awful man laughed and shook his head.

"She must have ditched you. I honestly don't blame her." the thug answered meanly.

"She wouldn't do that!" Aaron yelled angrily and threw a fire ball at the thug. The thug jumped to the side and laughed again.

"That won't work." he revealed that he was wearing a force field shield. Aaron still threw fire balls his way.

They just hit the shield not doing anything at all. The thug got closer to Aaron and smiled evilly. "Goodbye Aaron." He was just about to throw the grenade when something knocked the thug in the head.

He fell to the ground with a thud, unconscious. Aaron looked at him with a confused expression. Suddenly Willow appeared with a big rock.

"Well that takes care of that." Willow dropped the rock and walked over the thug. Aaron smiled and started to walk out of the woods with Willow.

"You've impressed me newbie and that's hard to do." Aaron laughed a little.

"Then I am honored." Willow teased and walked a little slower. Aaron's face got serious suddenly and he stopped walking. "What?" Willow stopped and starred at Aaron.

"You can't tell anyone about what just happened." Aaron looked at Willow with a straight face.

"Why not?" Willow asked confused and walked up close to Aaron.

"Because no one knows about them and no one knows about my past, not even the General. I did some stuff I'm not proud of."

"Yeah, like supplying terrorists with deadly weapons." Willow snapped suddenly getting angry. "How could you?" Willow started to walk away. Aaron ran after her and stood in her path.

"Hey! That stuff is all in my past. You just saw that I'm done with all of it." Aaron looked down at Willow. She wouldn't look at him. She couldn't believe that Aaron had done such horrible things, for terrorists no less.

"You're right, that's all in the past and I don't know why but I feel that I can trust you." Willow finally looked up at Aaron and gave him a small smile.

Willow started walking off toward General Wallow's base and Aaron walked off with her. Aaron looked behind himself toward Don's place and was lost in thought for a moment but then continued to walk with Willow.

Finally they reached the end of the woods and were right in front of the General's base.

"That's enough excitement for one day." Aaron started walking up to the door. Willow looked in the direction where the others had gone off to a small nearby town.

"You don't want to go to that town like the others?" Willow asked confused. Aaron looked off into the distance and smirked.

"Nope, I did what I had to do and the last thing I want to do is be all buddy buddy with those guys.." Aaron continued into the building without another thought. Willow stood where she was, uncertain of what she was going to do next.

She sighed and then decided reluctantly to go into the base with Aaron. Aaron looked at Willow with surprise. "Don't you want to go hang with Ryan?" he asked sarcastically. Willow cocked her head and was confused by Aaron's tone. He almost sounded.... Jealous.

"Nah, I think I'll just stay here and train." Willow responded and headed off toward the training room. As soon as Willow got to the training room Aaron appeared in the doorway.

"I want to know something." he walked over to Willow and crossed his arms. "Why go out with a guy like Ryan?" he had a serious expression on his face as he stared at Willow. Willow wasn't expecting Aaron to ask such a question and was a bit shocked.

"We have a lot in common and I think that he's a nice guy." Willow replied honestly. Aaron laughed a little and ran his fingers through his hair.

"He's anything but nice." Aaron laughed sarcastically.

"Why do you care anyway?" Willow questioned Aaron. Aaron rolled his eyes and shook his head.

"I can't stand the guy, so when he's happy I'm not." Aaron frowned and leaned against the wall. Willow got in closer to Aaron and stared into his eyes.

"I don't think that that's the truth." she responded quietly. Aaron didn't say anything, he stared down at Willow with a blank expression. Willow sighed in frustration. "I wish you'd tell me what you really think." Willow walked out of the training room, leaving Aaron alone.