(1) : Brothers and Beanbags

Okay, so I really shouldn't be starting this, but it wouldn't get out of my head, so here it is.

I hope you enjoy it, and thank you to anyone reading! The next chapter should be up soon, sometime next week hopefully!

Cat xox

CHAPTER ONE : BROTHERS AND BEANBAGS

"I want this room spotless by the time I return," Mrs Harden ordered with her signature permanent frown etched onto her wrinkled old face.

Sometimes I wonder how she's married...

I nodded once, a sour look appearing as she turned and click-clacked it out of the room in her brown leather old-lady shoes. I continued to scowl after her as she left, my resentment growing even more than I thought possible.

All because I asked for a pencil.

I started scrubbing at the first desk with the ratty cloth Mrs Harden had oh-so-kindly supplied me with. Detention was the worst-especially with the Dragon Lady as your teacher. Mrs Harden thought it fair that when children "misbehave" (ask for a pencil) they should be submitted to the joyful task of scrubbing every desk, board and visible surface in her classroom. And I, being one of her least favourite students-thanks to my wonderful brothers-get the bonus extension of removing all gum.

Yay me.

But if Jeremy hadn't stolen my only pencil this morning, I would not be here right now.

And while speaking of Jer, let me just say that my second eldest brother, along with the other four, is happily lounging at home-detention free.

Fair? I think not.

By the time I'd finished all the desks-which took me just over an hour-Mrs Harden had returned. She scrutinised me closely before studying the desks. She sighed, as though it pained her to say it and told me I could I leave.

To say I was shocked is an understatement, but nonetheless I kept my celebration to myself and grabbed by bag. I practically bolted it out of the school, laughing gleefully to myself.

I didn't even have to clean anything else.

I fumbled with my phone as I kept running, finally managing to get Jeremy's contact up on the screen.

"Hola?" My insane brother answered.

"Hey, Jer, think you can come get me?" I asked, scanning the empty school car park.

I heard him dramatically sigh. "I suppose," he drawled. "Where are you?"

"At school."

"Aw, you little nerd, No-no!" He teased, and I could practically hear his smirk through the line. "You staying behind to get some two-month-due projects done?"

I scowled. "No, actually, I'm not," I huffed. "I have detention, for your information, because someone stole my only pencil this morning."

Jeremy snorted. "That's my baby sis!"

"It's your fault, Jer! I had the Dragon Lady today!"

He sucked in a breath. "Ooh, bad luck, No-no. She hates me."

I rolled my eyes, even though he couldn't see me. "She hates us all, you oaf. Now hurry up and pick me up! It's freaking freezing!"

My brother laughed. "Alright, alright, calm the ham, woman, I'm nearly there."

A wave of fear froze my insides.

"You're on the phone!" I shrieked. "Jeremy, you idiot! Do you know dangerous driving while on the pho-"