Chapter 33: Healer

Harshvardhan and his men reached the Dharmveer Palace, Azianagar. Harshvardhan dismissed the army so that they could go back to their respective families. He wanted to personally inform King Vedant about the new annexation and the treaty King Veeran had signed. So, Harshvardhan went to King Vedant's quarters.

Harshvardhan: Your Majesty King Vedant, may I enter?

King Vedant: Harshvardhan, come in. I was just expecting you.

Harshvardhan walked into King Vedant's room which he had taken from his father King Dhanpal.

King Vedant: What happened in Nagaram?

Harshvardhan: We managed to get some parts of the northern Nagaram territories. Their kingdom is weak and King Veeran has no heir. If we plan another attack, we can take over all their territories, then you will be the King of the world.

King of the world, sounds good, King Vedant thought.

King Vedant: Lets wait for sometime. We should plan and hit when they don't expect our attack. You may go now.

Harshvardhan left King Vedant's room but he noticed someone on his way back.

Harshvardhan: Princess Alia, why are you here? and why do you have bruises on your arms?

Princess Alia didn't speak a word, all she could do was cry from the pain. Harshvardhan didn't want to get involved in something that he wasn't supposed to be involved in, so he left without getting answers.

King Vedant: Good girl, stay like this and then I will spare your father's life.

Princess Alia: Why are you doing this Vedant? I am a Princess.

He placed his index finger on her lips. 

King Vedant: Shhhh... and I am a King. I do what I want. I will marry you next month for the Kingdom, but for me you are nothing but a keep like the other girls.

He pointed to the adjacent room which had many girls in the same state as Princess Alia.

Father will not believe me and even if he does he doesn't have the power to save me from this hell. I knew Vedant was not the best of men, but I never expected him to be a womanizer and physical abuser, but I have hope that there will be someone someday that will oppose Vedant and save all of us, Princess Alia thought as she watched King Vedant leave the room and enter the adjacent room (the one with the other girls).

In Managlnagar, Manik urged Nandini to go back to her house before her uncle found out that she was spending time with an unknown man.

Why is he pushing me away when he knows he cannot stay away? How can I let him sleep on this hay bed the whole night, Nandini thought.

Nandini: I will inform my uncle about your real identity and then you wouldn't have to stay in this stable.

Manik: Nandini, I am nothing now. Not a Prince, not a King or a royal. What will you tell your uncle? I have to earn his respect. I have to become something respectable before I ask him for....

Nandini reluctantly left Manik in the stable and sneaked into her house. I cannot let him suffer alone, Nandini thought. She went to her backyard and found some hay on the ground. She took some and placed it on her bed. She lied down on the hay and thought of Manik. Manik was lost in thoughts about Nandini, and this time the hay didn't hurt him. Intact it felt like he was sleeping on cotton because nothing hurts when you are living in a world filled with complete love for someone else. Thinking of each other, both of them drifted into a blissful sleep.

Nandini woke up at earlier than usual to go and check on Manik before everyone else in the town wakes up. However, before she could sneak out of the house, her uncle stopped her.

Venkateshwara: Where are you going so early in the morning?

Why does he have to wake up so early! now how do I see Manik?

Nandini: I was.... I was....

Before she could compete her sentence they heard someone knock on the entrance door. Nandini opened the door and saw the person she longed to see since the moment she woke up. Manik winked ay Nandini and she smiled. He then spoke to Venkateshwara who was standing behind Nandini with folded arms.

Manik: Good morning uncle, I wanted some water, thats why I came.

Venkateshwara: I let you sleep in the stable so that you will leave soon. Now even after I asked you to leave, you come to my house and ask me for water. Nandini go inside, I will handle him.

Nandini whispered "sorry" so that only Manik could hear what she was saying. She knew Manik was not used to hearing people talk rudely to him and somehow she didn't want anyone to speak to him like that either. He let her know that he would handle it. Nandini left the room and ventured into the kitchen area still keenly listening to the conversation her uncle was having with Manik. She heard Manik speak first.

Manik: Let me cut to the chase, I know that you know that I am not here for water.
Before Manik could say anything further, they heard Rishabh scream in pain. Manik, Nandini and Venkateshwara ran to Rishabh's bed and saw him crying and holding his knee. Nandini ran to him and held Rishabh. She couldn't see her brother in pain. Manik knew the love she had for her brother. She was willing to go through any torture he was planning on putting her through for her brother in Azianagar.

Nandini: What happened?

Rishabh: I woke up because of the sounds I heard outside and suddenly it started to hurt like never before.

Nandini was crying, and Manik couldn't see her in tears. Manik placed his hands on Rishabh's knee. Rishabh screamed in pain.

Venkateshwara: Don't you dare touch him.

Manik: I will not do anything to hurt any of you, but let me do this, I know what I am doing.

Nandini had faith that Manik would do only what is best for her and her family. She trusted him enough to go against her uncle's word.

Nandini: Manik, do something please.

Nandini's command was the go ahead signal Manik was waiting for. He pressed Rishabh's knee and twisted it to the right. Rishabh cried in pain, but suddenly all his pain disappeared. Venkateshwara was initially furious to see Manik handle Rishabh and that Nandini asked him to, but as soon as he saw Rishabh relieved of his acute pain, all his anger subsided. Nevertheless, his suspicion on Manik's true identity and his reasons for staying in Mangalnagar grew. How can a driver know to heal muscle and joint pain? Venkateshwara thought. Nandini on the other hand, was thankful that Manik was around to help her brother. The same Manik who once threatened to kill her family was healing her family. She hugged Rishabh and looked at Manik conveying in unspoken words her love and gratitude towards Manik.