Chapter 24: Justified in Thought and Unjustified in Action

In Azianagar, King Vedant was having a conversation with Raja Bharmal, Harshvardhan and Vyan (Finance Minster) about their forthcoming war with the Nagaram Empire. 

King Vedant: I think we should attack immediately without informing King Veeran. We do have the army in place at the border. 

Raja Bharmal: But that would be against the ethical code of war that we all follow. (1)

King Vedant: I am not concerned with ethics or goodwill. We have to take control of the southern territory as soon as possible. 

Vyan: Your Majesty, but that would place an additional burden on our treasury. 

King Vedant: Charge more taxes.

Vyan: but the crop yields have been inadequate this year owing to the late monsoon, Your Majesty. 

King Vedant: I don't care, people will have to pay, its an order from the King. We are going for war immediately. Its decided. Harshvardhan, I formally appoint you to act on my behalf. You can leave today and the war can commence as soon as you reach Nagaram City. 

Harshvardhan: As you wish, Your Majesty. I thank you for appointing me as your man in command for the war. 

...

Waking up in each other's arms was not something Nandini had hoped for, at least not the sane part of her. Although, having him so close to her after the revelation that he wasn't engaged made her feel elated she buried those emotions behind a face of uncertainty and hatred towards Manik. What she was feeling was complex even for her to analyze. She wanted him to be close to her, but she couldn't let him get close either. 

Manik: Yesterday...

Nandini: was the worst night ever. We have only one horse, so take me home.

Your wish is my command and my home is where you are Nandini, Manik thought. Manik extended his arm so that he could lift her to sit on the horse (considering their height difference, it was not a bad idea) 

Nandini: I have been riding horses since I was 10, I don't need your help.

She got onto the horse by herself struggling a little bit, followed by Manik who sat in front of her. Manik held on to the reins of the horse and tugged it with great force, the horse immediately responded by lifting its forelimbs in the air. This sudden change in posture of the horse made Nandini hold on to Manik from behind resting her head on his back. Her tight grip on his bare chest made Manik smile. How much ever you try, you cannot deny holding on to me. If you choose to like you did by not accepting my proposition of helping you up the horse, I have my ways to get you close to me. Manik thought as he loosened his grip on the reins of the horse. 

She continued to hold on to Manik from behind even after the horse returned to a normal posture and stared galloping as directed by Manik. After a few passing moments Nandini realized how tightly she was holding  Manik. She released her hands from his chest and moved her head away. 

Nandini: Sorry.

Manik: Oh you don't need to be. It was my pleasure. 

How shameless can a person be? He enjoyed me holding onto him. For all you know he might have made the horse raise its forelimbs on purpose to get me to hold him. I will not let him take advantage of me, not anymore, Nandini thought as they rode away in the morning sunlight. 

In a couple of hours, Manik decided to stop to let the horse drink some water and graze on the jungle grass. Manik got off the horse first and offered his hand to help her get down, but Nandini rejected his offer.  She got down by herself and this stubbornness amused Manik. She isn't going to become any less of a person if she takes my help, he thought. 

I have to have a bath, but with Manik here, how can I? Nandini thought as she saw the river where the horse was drinking water from.

Nandini: Manik, go away from here for 30 minutes. 

Manik: And why would I do that? 

Nandini: Because I don't trust you.

Manik: If I go away, you will trust me.

Nandini: No.

Manik: Then why should I when there is no benefit for me?

Nandini: Everything is not about what you get from it. I have to have a bath, so please go.

Manik: Ok I will go, but on one condition. 

Nandini: What is your condition?

Manik: You will let me help you get onto the horse next time. 

Nandini: Accepted. I will come and get you when I am ready. 

Manik left the place and Nandini immersed herself into the cool and cleansing  waters of the river. 

Nandini washed away all the dirt that had stuck to her body from the time she spent in the cave. Memories of their moments in the cave came back to her. She recollected her caring for his fading wound, him helping her light the fire and their peaceful sleep in each other's arms. I know I love him, but can I trust him again? Will he stand up for me in my time of need? Will he protect me when I need him? Will he be with me forever.... No he cannot, he is a Prince even if he says he is banished from his Kingdom, he can never be with a commoner like me. 

Manik: It has been over 30 minutes, and there is no sign of her. I hope she is alright.

Precap: Tribal Lord: She is the perfect human sacrifice, bring her to me at once.

(1) Code of war and annexation: A set of unwritten rules followed by all Kings and warriors in the Indian subcontinent as a sign of goodwill in war. (Refer to Additional information regarding the codes of war)