Chapter 6: Okay

Nandini caught the firefly that was still glowing and put it in a tiny glass jar. With tears in her eyes she said to the firefly "My future looks bleak now, but you are my only hope. I know that someone out there loves me."

Nandini noticed the time; she was already 5 minutes late. Hurriedly, she left the firefly in her room and ran outside. I am late. What is he going to do now, she thought. It took Nandini about thirty minutes to find the Prince's chamber in the Palace. She ran in panting and bumped against a man.

Nandini: Sorry... Sorry...Sorry. That stupid monster, Oh sorry again. His Royal Highness forced me to come 30 minutes ago and I am late. That's why I ran... I didn't notice you.

That man turned around to face her and Nandini's was shocked when the identity of the man was revealed to her.

Prince Manik: What did you call me? Ah! Monster! I was thinking of being a little pardoning when you didn't show up on time, but after what I have just heard. No... No...No... I don't think so!

Nandini: I am sorry, your highness. I will do as you say.

Prince Manik: Now that's better.

Prince Manik dragged her by her long hair and threw her into a dark room that was beside his room.

Prince Manik: That's your room from today. I will have your things moved out of the dance quarters by the evening.

Nandini: But, I cannot stay with you. I am not that kind of a girl. You know in my village, we are not supposed to do these things. I thought you will make me do work, and I am ready to do that. I cannot do what I think you want of me.

Prince Manik again was captivated by her voice. So innocent and sweet, Prince Manik thought.  This girl is unreadable. One time she fights me, then she calls me a monster in my own palace and now so cutely she reasons with me, he thought.

Nandini was looking at Prince Manik waiting for a reply but he said nothing.

Nandini: Your Highness, please say something.

Prince Manik: Haan. Okay.

Nandini was stunned by his response. 'okay' without dragging me, or stopping my words. What has gotten into him? Nandini thought to herself.

Nandini: So, now that I am here, what do you want me to do?
As Nandini interrupted Prince Manik, he came out of his trance.

Prince Manik: Since you are my slave, I sent all my servants away. You will have to clean this entire wing of the Palace by the evening. Then you report to me.

Nandini: But, just this wing is so enormous. How can I  do that all by myself?

Prince Manik moved closer to her.

Prince Manik: You should have thought of that before challenging the Prince to a sword fight!
Nandini finally understood what this man had against her. I didn't know he was the Crown Prince, he looked like he would harm us so I fought him. I won the fight fairly. Why is he playing an unfair game? Nandini thought to herself still standing very close to Prince Manik.

Just then Prince Vedant peeped into Prince Manik's room as a spying agent sent by Queen Nyonika. He noticed his brother standing very close to a girl. He couldn't see her properly from where he stood, but noticed her long black hair. How he was before is immaterial, he is to be married soon and he is with this girl. Our Kingdom accepts only Royal blood as legitimate Queens and our father doesn't appreciate the concept of concubines . So what is he doing with her? I have to tell mother, Prince Vedant thought. Just then, someone noticed him spying on Prince Manik.

Prince Vedant: Harsh....Harshvardhan, you... why are you here.

Harshvardhan (Chief of Army) : That is irrelevant. What are you doing here standing like that?