Chapter 11

An anxious morning of waiting for some word from Theo turned into a rough afternoon.

I began to consider all the things that might have happened to him shortly after lunch, all the possible reasons that could explain why I hadn't heard anything from my friend about his morning spent gleaning information at the Circles. Some of the scenarios I painted were rather unkind, such as the possibility that Theo had been unable to rouse himself at the required hour, as he indicated might be the case, half in jest. At least, I hoped it was half in jest.

He's not exactly what I'd call a morning person.

Like several evenings ago, I found myself in a worrisome mood and desperate to find some diversion to prevent myself from going mad. I tried to ignore the fact that I'd expected Theo back at my keep over three hours ago.

It wasn't as if I could just hop over to his keep and inquire after him, ask a servant if Lord Haundsing were up and about. As useful as our subterfuge was, there were times where I cursed the fact that I could not simply walk over and say hello.

What was worse was the fact that I had no-one else to confide in, and could seem to do nothing to ease these worries that gnawed at the back of my skull like some oppressive flea.

Patience, I told myself.

After lingering over breakfast far longer than was necessary, I read for a little while before deciding to busy myself with some of the more mundane aspects of being a Lord.

For example, three tenants of mine were respectfully requesting an extension on the tribute they owed me, pleading extenuating circumstances as the reason. There had also been two thefts in my territory within the past couple of days, both which appeared to be simple misunderstandings. The items stolen were marked, and had already been handed over to one of the local Fences.

Fences were the opposite of merchants - they handed out money for items that were brought to them, either as a temporary 'loan' or on a more permanent basis, usually for quite less money than the item was worth.

They would never knowingly traffic an item that had been marked with a Lord's seal, of course ... not if they wished to keep an even number of fingers and toes. If a Fence were brought merchandise that turned out to be marked, they would simply shake their head at the luckless thief, light a greyberry candle to show them the Lord's mark, and offer to return the thing to the Lord protecting it, no questions asked.

I'd requested that any returned items be brought back to me directly, so that I could return them to the affected merchant or house owner myself. It seemed to fit my current plan regarding my reputation – a smiling, friendly Lord Tucat coming to the rescue, taking a personal interest in the well-being of his tenants.

The fact that I myself had a hand in stealing some of the very things that I was returning to their owners was a given, of course. Reputations like that don't just make themselves.

Once I was done my assorted lordly duties, I left my study and spent some time downstairs in the exercise room to occupy myself until lunch was ready to be served, about two hours past the dueling hour. I didn't bother lighting any of the vimroot-oil torches as I did so, because I figured I had far too much nervous energy already. Instead, I chose to fire up some relaxing foxmallow and chicory candlesticks.

The velvety, soothing smells did very little to calm my nerves, and by the time the kitchen bell had begun to chime I was more than ready to leave the room, finding myself driven to distraction with even the smallest movements and sounds. The creaking of wood as I climbed, the scrape of my padded gloves against stone, any noise that might have heralded Theodore's return instantly wrenched my attention away from what I was doing and towards the secret door, half expecting to see my friend enter.