Chapter 46 - Charity

Start from the beginning

The governor was followed by other speakers and it made me even more confused on the proceeding of the event. Most of the speeches I heard were more of political in nature... and usually tackled on the incoming elections and campaigns.

I got confused why an event which was supposed for the benefits of the needy was to be mixed with something so political. Couldn't they just talk about helping people and not talk about politics?

I turned to Javier and stared at him.

"Yeah? Why are you staring at me, love?"

I decided to iron my words out before saying it. "Javier..."

"Yeah?"

"Why are there campaign speeches here?"

His eyes flickered. "Well, as you know, the election is coming and this is one important occasion where candidates like dad could announce their will to serve the people, especially with the presence of these wealthy businessmen. They can be great assets for financial support for the campaign."

What?

Was this event for the campaign of his dad's candidacy or for charity in support of the social welfare department?

I quieted myself down.

Oh, Javier! I hadn't expected this!

This charity event tonight in Sta. Fe was important for me because it was supposed to be for the benefit of the underpriviliged in the province where the children in La Carlota could also be benefited. La Carlota was the village just outside of The Fields and the kids there were special to me because I was once a volunteer to them.

"Thea, are you okay?" he asked when he noticed that I was not talking anymore.

"I need to find the comfort room. Excuse me." I stood up from my seat and walked away.

Well, I needed to ponder on things. Charity work was something that was pure and sacred to me, something that deserved great respect. When we help, we just have to help because that is what our heart tells us, not because we have some hidden agenda on it.

It was time for the cocktails and some people started dancing on the center floor. I worked myself towards any quiet place where I could just calm myself. Anger was ignited in me. This wasn't what I expected to happen tonight. And, certainly, the words spoken by Javier a while ago were not the words I expected from him.

I was walking through the crowd when a palm patted my shoulder. I turned around and I saw the governor's wife.

"Where are you going?" she asked, raising an eyebrow.

I was supposed to say I was looking for the comfort room but I would be lying if I'd tell her that. "I want to go home," I stated, telling her the real thing that I wanted to do right this moment.

"Going home already? We've just started the socialization," she said, very surprised. "Where's Javier?"

Oh, yeah... I hadn't told Javier I was planning to go home already. I was once again carried away by my temper. Control, Althea, I told myself.

"He's at our table, Madam," I said, pointing a finger towards Javier.

"Are you not enjoying? Why not dance with Javier?" she suggested, raising again an eyebrow.

I didn't reply.

"Well, can we have a talk, dear?" Madam Melanie then asked. Her voice exuded firmness.

She signalled a waiter to come near us and serve us drinks. She got a glass of red wine for me.

"No thanks, Madam. I don't want to drink," I rejected her offer.