My best friend, Jarred, who was more like a brother to me than a friend. He deserved the best for everything great he has done in his life. I remember the very first time I met him. It always brought an amused smile on my face as I thought of the lame pick up lines he tried to use on me. He stood up in front of me when Weston was being a jerk. He told me the truth instead of sugar coating things. When I left, he made sure we stayed in touch. He drove down just to cheer me up when I felt my heart breaking to a million pieces. I told him everything and he told me a lot as well. He was a genuinely happy guy, but the people with the biggest smiles have the saddest stories. He never got along with his father or his mother. They always wanted him to be the perfect child with a planned life. Eventually, Jarred strayed away from them and hasn’t talked to them for two years. It was hard on him. I promised myself I would never leave him like he has never left me.

And finally, Weston Marshall – my soul mate. He wasn’t here at the moment, but my mind strayed to him and I wondered if he was doing fine. It has definitely been a bumpy road for us. Then again, what relationship is perfect? We were far from perfect and that’s the way I liked it. He’d been a jerk the first time I met him, but he became the man I loved. After all, what lasts won’t always come easy. There were many memories with him. The arguments we had taught us lessons and strengthened our relationship. We had inside jokes that nobody else would understand. His kisses and his embraces never failed to sway me. He was amazing and I was damn lucky to have him. He risked everything for everyone today and I couldn’t be more proud of him. He was injured both emotionally and physically because of me, but he never abandoned me. He frustrated me so many times and was a constant annoying bee, but I loved everything about him. I probably sound like an infatuated teenager right now. Sorry, I’m a hopeless romantic. I knew there were going to be many more bumps on the road, but I promised myself we will fix them and I will not run away like the last time. He meant too much to me to lose.

As I stood there, antsy, I thought back to my family too. It was hard to know that they were probably going crazy right now, worrying about me. It was harder when I didn’t know if I’d see them after this. I loved them and I couldn’t wish for a better family. They gave me things that I didn’t deserve. They molded me into the person I am today. This is the least I could do for all they have done for me.

‘Guys, get ready,’ I heard Weston in my mind. ‘We’re almost there.’

I gulped, clenching my trembling hands into small fists by my side. With one glance at everyone, we shot each other panicked looks. I could hear their frightened voices in my head, wishing each other good luck. We did not dare say goodbye to each other. We had a hard time.

 ‘Ells,’ Weston linked, but only to me this time. ‘I’m sorry for everything once again. If anything bad shall happen – ‘

‘Wes, don’t,’ I replied solemnly.

‘No, Danny, I want you to know. If anything bad shall happen, just know I’m sorry I failed to protect you. You’re the best thing that has ever happened in my life. Thank you for being you. I want you to know that. It sounds like something from a corny teen chick flick, but it’s the truth. I don’t think I’ll ever get tired of saying this, but I love you.’

‘Wes, we’ll make it out alive,’ I reassured. ‘I have faith in us. Thank you for risking everything for us and doing everything you do. You’re an amazing alpha and an amazing mate. I couldn’t wish for better.  I love you too, Dot. Never forget that.’

I heard heavy footsteps and quiet muttering. It was easy to pick up when you had enhanced werewolf abilities. Once their footsteps grew louder, I knew the others could hear it too.