Chapter 14: The Curse

Sorry, these updates just get spaced and more spaced apart. Thank you for being patient❤️ Finals were this week, and I had to study all last week and ugh. At least I got A's on all of them!

I hope you all enjoyed the book so far :3 There are two songs that I want to use in here, but I can't upload both because of the format. The Unexpected Song is a part of Andrew Lloyd Webber's Song and Dance. And you should listen to his other works; they're fantastic! As always... 😉

The song I couldn't upload is called Till There Was You. It's an oldie, but it's got the right lyrics 8)

Btw, the photo attached is Helen, Charlotte's mother ^-^ (though, her eyes could be a little bluer...)

<><><><><><><><>

(Charlotte)

Don't trigger my curse... But, what was the curse?

I had been thinking about my mother's words for the past day. She's been resting continuously after whatever happened to her; I had yet to ask. But she just came back. I would not overwhelm her with questions that did not need answers immediately.

Now, I was sitting in my room, pondering about everything. What has she been through since she's left? Any sort of trouble besides this encounter? Or has she been living smoothly up until now? God, I wish I could ask, but how overwhelming would that be to her? So, completely overwhelming, I think. She didn't need that kind of pressure right now. Not yet, anyways.

You know what? Maybe now wasn't a bad time to check up on her. Maybe she needed to see me again. Or maybe this was all in my head; that I was paranoid for nothing. My troubled mind couldn't make a decision.

But I let my heart decide anyways.

As I got up from my bed, I shortly checked myself in the large mirror. My hair was flying every which way, probably from my fingers running through it and the continuous lying down I had to do. The paleness of my skin stood out from the darkness of my hair. White porcelain against midnight black. And my eyes especially stood out. The piercing emerald green mixture of life and death itself. The death represented all the darkness I've experienced, coloring my eyes darker in spots. And the life... All the greatness and beauty I have been through... It gives me my sparkle.

Not too shabby, I thought, indifferent, smoothing out my simple periwinkle and black dress.

"She's healing well."

The sudden voice made me jump and catch my balance. In the mirror's reflection, I saw Erik standing tall and curiously. My heartbeat raced a million miles. Then, a sudden ache came over me. I left Erik alone last night with the managers around. I hoped he was fine. But then again, it was my mother that turned up...

"Erik, don't do that to me," I breathed a sigh, holding my head. Slight dizzying, but I was all right. He always found a way to spook me for a jest. I thought back to my mother again. "I was just about to see her."

"I could tell," he chuckled, sliding open the glass mirror. His hands were ungloved and bare. Unusual. As he stepped out of the frame, I noticed his very unusual attire. I've never seen him in just a white linen shirt and black pants alone before. He always wore layers.