In a Mask

Dani's POV
(Nightwing27th)

I close the door behind me and stop. I close my eyes and take a breath. Just focus on the task at hand. If someone really does come looking for him, I'll deal with it then. My cell phone in my left jacket pocket starts vibrating, stopping me from lowering my heart rate. I quickly reached in my jacket to pull out the phone.

But this isn't my phone. It's my other half's. Only one person on the planet has the number to this phone: Chase. I flip it open and answer it as I start walking towards the stairs. "Hello?" his voice squeaks on the other end. "Angel?"

"I'm here," I replied. Angel. That's been his nickname for me ever since he found out about me. And since I wouldn't tell him my real name, he felt the need to find a different one. "What's wrong? This number is for life and death emergencies." I can't let him I know I already know why he's calling.

"It is!" I pulled the phone away from my ear as he shouted the words. "It is, really. Some woman brought this guy to our house. He's hurt, but he's wearing a mask. I think he's the guy I've heard about at school."

"Yeah, kid, I know who you're talking about," I said as I exited the building. "I ran into him the other night."

"Did you hurt him?!"

"No, of course not. But, I'll find out who did, I promise you that." I entered my building and headed up the stairs. Once I made it to my door I fumbled with the keys. "Just hang tight, Okay? I'll be there in a minute and I'll help sort this out."

"Okay. Is this guy evil, are we in danger by him being here?"

"No, he's not evil." At least I don't think. I burst into my 'apartment' and start stripping; throwing clothes everywhere as I walked through the office and into my room. "As far as the danger part, I don't know. That's why I'm coming. Just stay put, I'll be there in a second."

I closed the phone and tossed it on the bed. I can't talk and change at the same time. I walked into my small walk-in closet, flip on the light. I parted the hanging clothes and then put my hand on the back wall, feeling for the latch. Once my fingers found it, I grabbed it and slid the panel of the wall over.

I stepped inside, turned around, put the clothes back where they belonged, and then closed the panel behind me. I grabbed the chain hanging down in the middle of the room and pulled, turning on the light. I always get butterflies every time I see my suit. I grinned, then grabbed my black leggings.

I slipped them on and then reached for my black tank top with a high neck. My feet slid into my black leather knee high boots, as I simultaneously slid an arm guard onto my left forearm. After strapping it down, I put on my blue leather jacket, zipping it all the way.

I spun on my heel and eyed my collection of bleach blonde wigs. My hand flew to the one with a long, thick braid that goes down the left shoulder and a few loose bangs hanging down on the forehead. Out of all the ones I've tried, this one's my favorite. I pulled my quiver off the wall, checked its contents, and then swung it over my shoulder.

I picked up my bow with my left hand and then looked up at the next shelf, where my glasses sat. I picked them up and held them in my hand a second, making sure the blue tinted lenses were clean before putting them on. I turned the light off and then walked to the back of the room, to the roof exit.

It only took me a couple minutes to get to Alison's building, and then another thirty seconds to climb the fire escape that leads to Chase's room. I figure this is better than the front door. If someone catches me, especially whoever's looking for the Mask, it won't be good for the Fletchers.