The Heart of the Pyramid

Start from the beginning

", Thierry!"

He crouched at the other end of the antechamber so that we could see each other. "Oui, Mon Ami?"

"Do they not eat bread and wine in the ancient cathedrals?"

"I believe they must, but we would say it becomes, in reality, the body and blood. There is no common meal in God's house. This..." He wagged a finger at me, "is from an older book."

"But, you do not eat in tombs?"Murphy asked.

Thierry laughed. "Only on La Toussaint, and then we must share with those who have passed."

I took a bite from the apple.

I offered it again to Murphy. He looked at it and then at me with furrowed brow.

"Go on," I said, "it's medicinal. You can't recover strength by skipping breakfast."

Murphy wiped his hands on his kilt, but then perhaps thinking better of taking the apple, leaned toward me and bit into the fruit in my hand. He touched his fingers to his lips and cheeked the bite of apple to speak before swallowing. "It tastes so good right now."

"See? You needed it." I took another bite for myself and heard the click-whir of the Dubroni. I turned and saw David crouched in the doorway with the camera, where Thierry had earlier been.

I froze, uncertain how I felt.

"It was flattering light," David said, "We'll see if it turns out." He stood and moved out of sight.

"There's not trouble?" Murphy whispered.

I listened first, to see if the others were talking. There was something about ventilation. Prim mentioned voice-tubes.

"He says he wishes us to be friends," I said, keeping my voice soft as I could, "I believe he means it. That any affection is in the platonic sense."

"Which is that?"

"You remember when Alpha made me write about love?" I saw Murphy did. "The philosopher Plato described these two forms of love: vulgar love—that's...."

"Obvious," Murphy said.

"And divine love. That's when love for another person inspires you to be better, or to love the divine, a deity, maybe."  

"Ishq," Murphy said.

I shook my head.

"It is also 'love' in English, but not the physical love. Ishq is the love in certain poems or spiritual paths. To symbolically have a fire inside, in the sense that fire purifies as it burns. A love that takes root in your heart and grows, like a vine."

"Plato's divine love."

Murphy smiled. He leaned towards me and took another bite of apple.

"Murphy, do you think it is possible to feel vulgar and divine love for the same person?"

"Ha," Murphy said, "I believe it."

I smiled. "I think I do, too."

-----

-----

Chapter 76!

The video media is Queen + Adam Lambert performing Adam's song "Ghost Town" live at Rock in Rio. After the last couple chapters, I wanted to listen to something less spooky and atmospheric. And, browsing Youtube, I thought that I hadn't included any Queen songs on the theoretical soundtrack, yet. And, I found this performance. I think the chapter would have developed differently if I had not chosen this song. I have listened to Adam's album version and liked it, but I love this version. Brian May wails on the guitar in this. It just makes it better. But, I had this idea like the lyrics are from the POV of the pyramid.... (o_O)

The in-chapter images are from that same collection of John and Morton Edgar from 1910 as in the last few chapters. The titles are: "embranchement de la grande galerie dans la pyramide de Khéops" (upper) and "chambre de la reine dans la pyramide de Khéops."

I have up to chapter 79 written at this point, but I do not want to post them just because they are finished, in case I get blocked for a bit or something. So, I'll say that the next chapter, for the Tuesday update will be titled The Dance Number and yes that is pretty much what it sounds like.