Chapter 14

Because everyone was so curious. 

-----------------------------------------------------

*Ryder's P.O.V.*

"Welcome, Mr. Fitzgerald. May I take your coat?" One of the employee's asked as I walked into Franklin Hotels, for an event held by Harper Inc. 

Stephanie was hanging onto my arm with a wide smile on her face. This was the very first event I decided to take Stephanie along with. I didn't want anyone to think I was rushing into a new relationship after my divorce with Jessica. I mean, it's only been maybe a month or two. I couldn't remember. We both took our coats off and handed them to the young man. 

As for those confusing feelings I had after our divorce was finalized, I came to the conclusion that it was just a moment of loss. I spent two years with the woman, of course I should feel something after she all of a sudden left me. I'm ashamed to even admit that I became depressed for a week because of her, but it didn't matter anymore. I had Stephanie and that was good enough.

I walked into the hall where the event was being held. There were many businessmen and women, enjoying their time and conversing with one another.

"Well, well, well. If it isn't Ryder Fitzgerald. Welcome." I heard a very familiar, and if not to mention, annoying voice say from behind me. 

I turned around and plastered a fake smile on my face as I turned around to see my number one enemy, Kyle Harper.

"Ah, Kyle. Thanks for inviting me." I said kindly, knowing that there were many people watching our interaction.

"Of course. Why, who is this beautiful lady next to you?" Kyle asked as he grabbed Stephanie's hand and kissed it. 

"Stephanie Smith, very nice to meet you." Stephanie replied with a smile.

I grabbed Stephanie's waist and tugged her gently to my side so that Kyle would get the hint. It seemed as he did, since he held up his hands and took a step back.

"Sorry man. Your territory, I won't mess with it." Kyle said as he chuckled as I just rolled my eyes. This guy really gets on my nerves. "How's business going?" 

"Better than yours that's for sure, right?" I replied smugly.

Kyle laughed and shook his head. "I'll give you that one. Well enjoy the party, I have a very important announcement to make soon." Then he walked away, not before eyeing Stephanie one more time, obviously trying to get on my nerves. What's new. 

From the corner of my eye, I could see a pair of arms waving around. I looked over and rolled my eyes to see my sister, Hannah motioning Stephanie and I over to her table. She was seated with my parents, along with Ben and Katherine Reynolds, my ex-parents-in-law. Well this should be interesting and not to say, very, very awkward. I let go of Stephanie's waist and walked toward their table.

"Hey mom and dad." I greeted as I shook my dads hand and kissed my mom on her cheek. "Mr. and Mrs. Reynolds. Lovely seeing you both again." 

I held out Stephanie's chair and took a seat as well before looking them both in the eyes. They seemed to be surprised that I had another woman by my side already, but they couldn't expect me to be withering away just because their daughter and myself are divorced. 

"Ryder, very nice to see you again young man." Mr. Reynolds said as he eyed me suspiciously. I just gave a nod in response. "So, who's this young lady you brought along?" Mrs. Reynolds asked as she stared at Stephanie with a smile. I looked around the table and saw that my parents also had a curious look on their faces.