Act 8: Antonio Visits An Italian

There was still a war but they had won the battle, and that was enough of a reason to celebrate. Not the same raucous celebration they had after surviving Antonio's first circus performance. More of a pull your loved ones close and don't let them go kind of celebration, so it distressed Gilbert to know that Ludwig would be home with Feliciano rather than out with him and Matthew. To Antonio, however, that meant Lovino would be home alone, and that was just not acceptable.

Despite Gilbert's repeated advice, Antonio was still determined to befriend the testy Italian, and so plucked up the courage to knock on his door. Antonio shifted nervously as he waited for him to answer. He didn't know why, he just really hoped Lovino liked him.

The door swung open and Lovino stepped forward to give him his warmest greeting.

"What do you want, jerk bastard? Feliciano is out with the po—."

"Actually I came to see you." said Antonio, trying to sound confident as butterflies fluttered in his stomach. "I thought we could hang out."

Lovino stood there for a second then he looked away.

"I guess that would be okay."

He moved aside and held the door open for Antonio.

"Gracias." said Antonio, flashing him a grin as he went up the steps inside.

He took an initial look around. There was a definite divide of the space between the twins. Not as much as Alfred and Matthew, but divided none the less. It was also more homey and colorful. They had actually taken time to design and decorate their recreational vehicle, rather than just dump their stuff there.

"Ah, lo siento. I didn't know you were expecting company."

"What are you talking about, idoto? I'm not expecting anybody."

"But you're cooking a big dinner?" Said Antonio, gesturing to the large boiling pot and fresh ingredients on the counter and cutting board.

"Che cosa? No, I was making that for me."

"Guau! Lovino, you go to all that trouble just to eat by yourself?"

"I would sacrifice a lot of things, but never my pasta!"

Antonio chuckled. He'd never seen such dedication to a simple meal before. He thought it was adorable.

"Would you like some help? I love cooking."

"Um... sure. Can you cut tomatoes?"

"Can I cut tomatoes?" Antonio exclaimed, rolling up his sleeves as he approached the cutting board. "Back in Spain they called me El Destructor de los Tomates!"

"I doubt that."

"Well, that might be from how many I eat—but all the same!"

"Alright, jerk bastard." said Lovino, handing him a knife. "Get chopping."

"Si, chef!" Antonio chuckled, picking out the ripest tomatoes.

While Antonio worked on the vegetables, he watched Lovino heat up a skillet and toss in the guanciale, then pull out a bowl to mix the sauce. After he had done that, Lovino picked some leaves from the basil plant in the windowsill and added them to Antonio's tomatoes.

Antonio watched Lovino's attention to every detail of the meal with amazement. Lovino was in his element, and it was fun to watch, before a fork was shoved in his face. Realizing he was supposed to taste it, Antonio took the fork and ate the pasta at the end of it. His eyes closed and a blissful smile graced his lips.

"Guau! That es good!"

"Does it need salt?"

"No, it es amazing! Where did you learn to cook like that?"