Interview

I think of my home in District 4, with its huge lakes and oceans. When I close my eyes, I can almost smell the salty scents of the sea and taste the fresh air on my tongue. I can hear the sounds of happy children paddling in the sea, splashing around without a care in the world. I used to be one of those children, until a few months ago. In fact, it must be my fifteenth birthday soon - it'll be nice to spend it at home.

Faint chuckling begins to burst through my hazy daydream, and I am shocked to realise that the audience is laughing at me; Caesar places a firm, friendly hand on my shoulder and gently shakes me back to reality.

Blushing, I smile shakily at the crowd and take a deep breath before answering the question. ''I just want to forget about the whole thing. I want to live a normal life, I don't want to remember my time in the arena. I just want to be plain Finnick,'' I say, my hands trembling as the crowd gasps and whispers with concern. This is not what they wanted to hear. Even Caesar's usual wide grin has decreased considerably in size, and he shoots me a strange look before bringing the audience to silence with a wave of his hand.

''Steady on, Mr Odair, don't go wishing for things like that! You were fantastic in the Games - you've brought honour to your District. Don't forget, you're going to be joining us tomorrow to relive the entire experience and tell us about each crucial moment,'' Caesar announces cheerily, referring to the ReCap, in which the victor watches the highlights of the Games and provides a running commentary for the morbidly fascinated citizens of Panem.

My heart drops clumsily in my chest and begins to beat faster and faster when I think about having to watch myself murder other tributes on the big screen. To my immense relief, we have reached the end of the interview and I say a hurried goodbye before I exit the stage to the sound of wolf-whistling, cheering and screaming. Mags, Eli and my escort, Tricia, are waiting for me backstage with food, drinks and a car to take us to our temporary Capitol house.

Exhausted, I sit in silence throughout the entire journey whilst the people I thought I could trust whisper to eachother as if I'm completely oblivious to their flippant comments about me and how stupid I am. I catch phrases like ''foolish comments'', ''angering Snow'' and even ''if he turns into a spolit brat because he's won, I'll have to quit''.

Trying to block their voices from my already aching head, I lean back against the soft leather seats and close my eyes. There is nothing I want more than to drift into complete emptiness, where it's more peaceful and numb - away from the overly-enthusiastic voices of Capitol citizens and the bright, shiny lights that seem to swamp every single building here.

I wish I was back in District 4. Everything was simple before I was chosen to represent my district in a brutal gameshow where there can only be one winner.

A heavy sigh accidentally escapes my lips, causing my prep team to break away from their muttered conversations and glance at me worriedly. The car grinds to a halt and we are left in a somewhat awkward silence, before the trio of traitors get up and leave me alone in the stretch limosine. My legs and arms are aching and covered in bruises and scars - I don't want to move from the luxurious vehicle.

''Finnick, we've arrived at the house. Come on,'' Eli says suddenly, grabbing me by the shoulders with his tattooed arms. He quickly pulls me up and pushes me towards the mansion. Clumsily, which is unlike me, I trip and stumble on the paving stones, falling flat on my face and grazing my outstretched arms. Blood begins to slowly trickle from the cuts as I stand up to face my stylist, my fists and jaw clenched tightly.

''What the hell, Eli?'' I yell. ''I won the Hunger Games less than a few hours ago. I stabbed an innocent girl with a trident and no one has given her, or any of the dead tributes, a second thought. I don't want to prepare for a stupid interview tomorrow, I don't want to relive the Games - I want to go home!''

And with this sudden outburst, I collapse on the ground in tears, my body convulsing in sobs and sharp cries escaping from my raw throat.