Chapter 2 - Toilet Girl

Start from the beginning

This time of the day is ours to share and relax, to laugh at the things that happened and we saw. It’s the part of the day I look forward to and I’m so grateful he is here with me, it makes everything so much more bearable.

“Yeah. Weird, I thought they were busy taking over the world but they are here, hiding,” I say offhandedly as I take another bite of my sandwich.

“Well, they are teenagers, after all. Just like you and I, they sure get tired,” Charlie adds but I shake my head.

“They are nothing like us, Charlie. They are billionaires that hide in this centre so paparazzi can’t find them. They may be teens, but they can have anything they want. That’s not normal,” I point out and now he shakes his head.

“You would never give a chance to celebrities, uh? I wish you would fall in love with one of them so I could laugh at you later,” my ‘best’ friend says and I smack him in the arm.

“That ain’t gonna happen ‘cos the closest I’ll be to them is to their bathrooms, Charlie, and I hardly doubt I’ll fall in love like that,” I say and he actually laughs.

Sad life, uh?

“Maybe Kimmy and Jenny will want to do that for you, just to be near them,” Charlie jokes and I laugh this time.

“I wish, but they will be at the pool trying to look sexy for them. I think they went shopping today just for that reason.” Lucky me they didn’t ask me to take them, though.

At the end, I do end up cleaning their rooms and bathrooms. Man, I don’t dislike as much older celebrities, they are way less messy than teenagers. And these boys of One Direction are like tornadoes. Seriously, how much damage can one person do in one night? This is beyond my understanding and I stand here, in the middle of the room, staring at the chaos surrounding me for five minutes. The clothes are all over the floor, towels and the pillows making them company, there’s even a vessel broken, all the pieces scattered and the flowers everywhere.

Did they have a party here?

I take a deep breath and prepare myself for what I have to do. If I keep staring in disbelief I’m not going to get anything done by today, and I have many other rooms to clean. If the other members of this boy band are as messy as this one, then I have loads of work to do, so I better start now.

I start by making the king size bed and I find girls clothes, so I remember this is the room of the blond one and his girlfriend. I guess they did have a party last night. I don’t appreciate the mental picture of that, I hate finding things that give me more information than I want. I really hope I won’t find used condoms. I always feel like puking when I do. The first time it happened I actually puked.

Being maid for celebrities is not a glamorous job, I’m telling you.

After the bed I gather all the clothing on the floor and fold them tidily, as I’ve learnt during all my years working over here. I remember celebrities used to laugh when they saw a fourteen-year-old girl cleaning the bathrooms. Lucky for Rhonda no one ever told the social service about her having a minor working, but I wish someone had. I would’ve ended in some foster home and I’m sure that would’ve been better than this, seeing how that monster destroys what my father created.

When I’m in the bathroom, I hear the door opening and I thank God that I wasn’t listening to music. It happened once that I was so into the music that I didn't notice when the guest walked in and found me having my own show in the bathroom.

I will never be able to see Jessie J without wanting to dig myself in a hole.

“I’ll be done in a minute,” I say to let the guest know I’m working here.

I try to hurry to finish so I can leave the room. I don't know if it’s the blond boy or the blonde girl, but I need to disappear as soon as possible.

I hear the footsteps getting closer until I know the person is at the door, so I look over my shoulder —I’m cleaning the toilet… how glamorous, isn’t it?— and I see the Irish boy standing there, staring at me again with a smile. “Oh it’s you. Hi,” he says, his smile growing wider.

“I’m almost done,” I tell him, not really greeting him. I go back to cleaning but I know he is still there, I can feel his eyes on me. Does he like seeing people cleaning toilets? From where I’m standing, it’s not a nice sight.

“I’m sorry that it was a mess,” he says and I close my eyes and breathe deep. It smells like cleaners.

“No need to apologise, it’s my job to clean and you’re here to rest,” I tell him not bothering to meet his eyes. I need to finish this.

“Still, it wasn’t nice to leave such a mess, but Zoe really wanted to go to the spa this morning,” he carries on, but I really don’t care. Why can’t he shut up and let me finish?

“It’s my job,” I repeat and I hope he doesn’t complain for my hostility, but I can’t control it. I just wanna finish here.

“I’m Niall, by the way.” Seriously, who told him it’s okay to make small talk when one of the parties is cleaning a toilet?

Lucky me, I finish, so I rise to my feet and turn around to look at him, the cleaner products still in my hands.

“Ella,” I say. “And I’m done. You can use the bathroom now but be careful,” I add and walk past him, who moves aside to let me pass.

I’m finally done with that room, now I can leave. I don’t know why he came back to his room but I hope this doesn’t happen every time I have to come here, I don’t wanna have conversations while I clean the toilet.

“Nice to meet you, Ella,” he shouts from the doorframe but I don’t reply, I just bow my head and push the cart out of the room. “See you around,” he adds at the last minute.

“I hope not,” I whisper to myself, closing the door. “I hope not.”

-:-:-:-

Dedication to @MrsTommoloves1D

Bel, xx