Chapter 9

Sally looks exactly like the infamous internet celebrity, the grumpy cat. Her hostility worries me. There are a few things that can help, such as a can of cold beer, a caring boyfriend, or a piece of homemade carrot cake. We don't sell alcohol and her boyfriend, Jimmy, has tried everything to calm the dragon. Thus, he decides to go for the cake. An excellent choice.

The cake does help a bit but we all know the main issue lies on a lady named Amanda.

For the past two years, Sally successfully threw the birthday parties for Toshio in the conference room. Despite the kindergarten-like decorations and the over-use of paper plates, the parties were epic; the cake, the wine and the caviar on crackers. The tedious office work continued afterwards, but everyone still enjoyed them. At least that's what Jimmy told me.

This Friday, Toshio's birthday party, however, will be hosted in Amanda's recently opened art gallery instead.

"It's not about me, okay? That woman is stealing all the spotlight from Mr. Morita, not mine!"

"Honey, she's one of his best friends."

"Oh yeah? Then why didn't we heard about her before?"

"He's the boss. He doesn't have to tell us everything, especially his personal life."

"He told me he rather stays with us at the office! God, you idiot! Can't you see he isn't happy about it!"

Oh, Jimmy, please feed her another bite of carrot cake with extra caramel crunches.

I don't fully understand Sally's anger over Amanda. Yes, it is rude that none of the staff is invited to the party, but Jimmy was right. Amanda and Toshio are indeed very close. I saw it with my own eyes. Whatever she plans for the party, I bet Toshio will approve.

"Has she invited you?" asks Jimmy, who comes up to the counter to escape from the brutal punches by his sweet girlfriend. Of course he knows I've overheard everything since they have been sitting ten steps away.

"What? No. Why would she?" I answer as my nose crinkles.

"Mr. Morita said at least you will be someone he actually knows at the party."

"He said that?" My heart leaps, and I can't comprehend why. "Well, I did not get the invitation. And I guess Sally wouldn't want me to go."

Why would I care what Sally thinks? I simply don't want to appear too eager. I pack a piece of brownie with a paper bag and hand it to him. "Here, my treat."

"Thanks, we need this," he says before leaving, "You should go if she invites you. Tell us how awful it is."

Owing to the rumor that Toshio wants me there, the party is stuck in my head. Weeks ago, I didn't even know him that well to remember his birthday. Now I'm thinking getting him a gift; maybe a pen, or a photo frame. I want to be a part of whatever is going on. I hate feeling like Cinderella, left out from the ball.

It's ironic that there really is a pumpkin carriage parked outside the shop when I'm released from my shift. By the curb, a woman steps out of a blood orange Porsche, her dress in the shade of burning flames. Despite the lack of light, all the colors mix together like a jar of fruit punch. I recognise her.

"I don't see many women driving a Porsche." Checking the car out, I praise, certain that she's waiting for me as her eyes are locked on me. "Much less with this color."

"They say orange is the new black. Xue, are you ready to do some shopping for the party? How fast can I go?" asks Amanda, gesturing me to get into the car. The way she calls my name sounds like we've known each other for years.