Chapter 2: Saying goodbye

We were hauled into the Justice Building as the crowd dispersed. Lathia, shortly followed by two peacekeepers, lead us up a flight of wooden stairs and along a narrow corridor. Running up the middle of it was a faded red carpet that muffled the sound of our footsteps on the flooring. Glancing at Ash, I opened my mouth to speak, then decided it would be best not to.

We stopped in front of two doors, leading to the rooms we will make our final goodbyes to our loved ones.

"Here we are!" Lathia laughed. Stupid woman. I pushed open one of the doors, ignoring her infernal chatter.

                                                                                    *

I was pacing back and forth across the room when my first visitor arrived, Runt, my beloved best friend.

"Willow!" he shouted, rushing over and embracing me in his arms. As if almost immediately, I burst into floods of tears, making his smart shirt damp.

"Just do-" he stuttered, "Just do your best. You can make it back if you try! ...You'll do that for me, won't you? Y-you'll try?" There was a short silence.

"Yes, I will. I promise I will." We stood in each others arms until the peacekeepers returned to take him away. He resisted, but was soon over powered. They guided him out, just in a less civilized manner.

I sat on the velvet couch at the end of the room and sighed. This was it, this was the time I needed to start fending for myself. I rubbed my puffy eyes, which increased the horrid stinging. While I winced from the sensation, my mother and Rye entered the room. They sat on either side of me, and I put my arms round them.

"I can't believe this has happened!" mother sobbed, "My little girl! My baby!" I tightened my grip around the both of them. Rye stayed quiet, but I saw the shock in his eyes.

"You said you wouldn't grieve..." I mumbled.

"I lied." Rye frowned as greyish tears made his face shine. I hugged them both, kissing their foreheads and cheeks.

"I love you, mother, Rye." I whispered as we huddled in a circle on the couch. Just as I finished, peacekeepers stormed in and ruined yet another precious moment. They lead mother and Rye out of the room. I ran to the door and watched through the gap until they disappeared round the turn of the corridor. Slumping down against the large frames blocking my way out of this old, stuffy building, I cried into my hands. I heard the annoying Capitol accent once again and wiped my eyes. She swung the door open, sending me back onto the floor for the second time today.

"Willy!" she cheered, "Time to go!"

"It's Willow..."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry this chapter is a bit short, I couldn't really add anymore to do with the subject of the goodbyes! Hopefully the 3rd chapter will be longer... But who can tell? ;D