01:AMBER

Heat pressed into Amber's clothes and skin as she wound her way through the cafe's crowded kitchen. It wasn't that there were too many people-there were only two, not including her. It was that the entire room was too small.

Four ovens baked bread near the back. The aroma was intoxicating. Beside them, the chef stirred chocolate syrup. One hand gripped the spatula while the other flipped through scribbled orders.

No windows lit the dank kitchen. The only light came from an expired light bulb. Sometimes, when Amber would stay after hours cleaning, she would notice it flickering. On and off-like a struggling pulse.

Other than the ovens, stoves, and counters, it could be considered spacious. Though, no one was ever able to get past anything or anyone without making awkward contact.

So, Amber tapped her foot by the door, trying to make herself seem as small as possible. Her eyes watched the brewer tick, spitting out coffee into her ever waiting pitcher. She could hear everything. From the muttering of her co-workers behind her to the chattering of the few customers outside the closed kitchen door.

Although, despite the rushed circumstances, Amber still dreamed. Her thoughts wandered, forming a utopia of memories. Some of her father tucking her into her bed, others of her time in the library. They all molded around the singular ticking of the brewer.

"Order up!" Hector barked from behind. The tiny sound of a bell ringing followed his voice. "Amber! Focus!"

Blinking back into the world, Amber realized her pitcher was full of steaming coffee. Sputtering out a quick, "Coming!" she gathered the pitcher in one hand and reached for the plate of food with the other.

It was only until Amber was out of the kitchen, though, that she truly appreciated the colorful appearance of the old cafe. Beautiful paintings and open windows decorated the beige walls. Customers lined up in front of the display case full of pastries and others sat patiently at tables. Their hair reflected the glow of the morning sun.

Or perhaps it was just the person who sat near the windows. His hair was white. Like snow, it shone in the bright shadow of the sun. A halo of soft strands.

Transfixed on the boy with white hair, Amber had not yet realized that she was standing beside her awaiting customer.

"Excuse me?"

Jerking her head toward the voice, an embarrassed smile flashed across her face. A customer wearing a plaid shirt and glasses stared at her with intense eyes.

Bad morning? Amber thought curiously, pouring him more coffee and setting his plate down. Although, she didn't dare say anything in fear of upsetting him any farther.

Amber's feet carried her swiftly to the far side of the little cafe, having served everyone with a happy smile. It was exhausting in actuality. Running to and fro, balancing multiple plates on top of the other, and most of all trying not to get distracted.

She thought of her dreams as a curse. They always seemed to ruin everything and cause a disruption.

But even if Amber could control them, she wouldn't. Not until she found her dad. And she would do anything to get him home.

It was quiet now. The morning rush had dissipated and the only customers left were a few familiar faces and the usuals-as Amber would call them. Mr. and Mrs. Dark sat at a table together, their voices floating into her ears.