Chapter 22: Satan's Child

Recap:

Rage and disbelief warred within him as he stared at me. His eyes bored into mine as if he was waiting for me to retract my statement and apologize. That wouldn't happen. He was afraid of the prophecy. The one that said he would fall in love with me only for me to resent him in the end. If he continued down his current path, he wouldn't have to fall in love with me to have me resent him.

"You believe I'm a monster?" He nearly shouted.

I shrugged my shoulders nonchalantly, "I don't know, are you?"
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Caddie's POV:

Aleksander blinked rapidly at my cool tone. He had expected that I would yell at him, but I was done with yelling. I wouldn't waste my breath. Exhaustion was already creeping into my system but my day wasn't over yet. There was a long list of things I still needed to do before I dozed off into a mindless sleep.

"I'm not. You have to believe me," he said with so much conviction.

For a second I almost believed him. But there was still an inkling of doubt lingering in my mind. I needed to be one hundred percent positive that he wasn't the traitor before I convinced my aunt. If I didn't believe him, there was no possible way she would.

"I want to," I responded honestly, "But you have to prove to me that you are not the traitor."

Raising his hand to scratch the stubble on his chin, I managed to see the growing red stain on his white polo. The blood began to pool at his feet, staining his tan loafers and the rims of his khaki pants. My eyes quickly glanced at his face in search of any signs of pain or distress but it seemed as if he couldn't feel it. He must have been using his power, I concluded, to dull the pain. Perhaps if he wasn't a prince he would have been a great anesthesiologist.

"How do you suppose I do that?" He quirked his brow.

I couldn't provide him with a clear answer because my mind was too busy ogling at his face. Heaving a heavy sigh I thought to myself how easy my life would be if everybody wore a paper bag over their head. Not wanting to fall back under his romantic spell again I shrugged my shoulders and responded in a clipped tone.

"That's for you to figure out. But right now you need medical assistance and I have business to attend to."

Both of his brows shot up in surprise, "What business do you have to attend to?"

Rolling my eyes, I walked away from my bloody prince and headed toward the door. "Remember," I called as I opened the door, "It's my business, not yours."

Leaving the door open, I walked into the hallway where Mira was glaring at me. I had to hold back a laugh when she pointed her mouth. Before I barged into the interrogation room I had conviently forgot that I took away her ability to speak.

"Oh- yeah, about that," I rubbed the back of my neck awkwardly, "I don't know how to fix that."

To say she was furious was an understatement. Mira clenched her fist and crouched into a fighting position. Pulling her lips back into a snarl, she lunged into the air. Raising her fist in the air, she got ready to strike but I was already disappearing. I flashed her a cheeky smile before being enveloped in the darkness's embrace. A part of me felt bad for Mira, her mother's life was cut short in an unjust way. In Mira's mind, I was probably an evil symbol that my mother created to make a mockery of Mrs. Croft's death. Once my feet touched solid ground, I silently vowed to fix Mira's voice and try to make amends for my mother's wrong-doing.