Chapter 20: Council Members

Caddie's POV:

I would rather face a hoard of raging Dark Ones, than my aunt when she's in a bad mood. Narrowing her cold black eyes, she gritted her teeth in a poor attempt to hold back the slew of curse words that were begging to come out. I hid partially behind Alix, hoping she would take the brunt force of my aunt's attack. The other council members were glaring at their children in a similar fashion. The Mind Manipulator and Maddox were having a heated staring contest, while the Alpha Warrior was pulling on Ryder's ear.

Maddox and Ryder looked away from their parents momentarily to give each other a sympathetic look. I would have felt bad too if I didn't know that my aunt's version of grounding, was putting someone six feet under the ground. Glancing over at Aleksander and Dmitri, I noticed their Dad was sending waves of disappointment in their direction. Their heads were hung low in shame, as they fiddled with their fingers. Sometimes it was weird how alike they were. Whimpering in the corner sat Mira, her father sat beside her and tried to calm her down. I had no idea how they were apart of the council. They were powerless cowards and incapable of doing anything besides placing blame on other people.

"It's all her fault!" Mira wailed.

I rolled my eyes. There was no doubt in my mind she was blubbering about me. She couldn't whine if she was a pile of dust, the sadistic voice in the back of my mind offered. I was starting to like that voice...

Before I could blink I was pinned to the wall, the beta warrior used his forearm to block my windpipe. His face gone purple with rage, veins on his neck pulsed violently as he screamed at me. Spit splattered across my face as my breath became shallower. I couldn't breathe! Dark splotches clouded my vision as he slowly killed me. Anger flared within me, but I couldn't tell if it was my own or from the others. In the background I could hear angry shouts and pleas, but I couldn't focus on what they were saying. My fingers itched as black fire burned in my veins; if he didn't release me soon I would turn him into a pile of ash.

"Get off of her!" A voice thundered.

The Beta Warrior's arm slipped off of my throat as he crumbled to the ground. His eyelids drooped as he tried to fight off exhaustion, all of his previous anger had been forgotten about. Standing behind him, with a murderous look on his face, stood Aleksander. His perfect features were contorted with anger, as he focused on forcing Mira's dad into a coma.

"Son, you need to calm down," The Heart Curator said and released peaceful vibes throughout the room.

No, he doesn't need to calm down Mr. Volkov he needs to go to a therapist. I understood better than anyone else that an empath is greatly affected by the emotional climate. But Aleksander acts completely normal around other people, when he's around me he acts as if he suffers from a severe case of bipolar disorder. One moment he's nice and grateful, the next moment he's cocky and ignorant. Then, he decides to be down right rude and now he's trying to be nice again. Even though understand that fear makes people do crazy things, does not mean I will allow myself to take place in his foolish games.

"Why did you do that?" I hissed, "I was capable of handling the situation."

He narrowed his electric blue eyes. My heart sped up as I watched him transform from the aristocratic prince to the conflicted young boy I had grown to know. His flawless features never changed, but it became more evident that he wore his beauty as a mask. A part of me was hoping the others would see through his facade. I had thought that if others could see his flaws then maybe he take off mask. But he recovered quickly and pushed away his anger before anyone else could see through his act.