Chapter 45 - Purpose

Start from the beginning

Maria Stella?

"Y-You've been friends with Maria Stella?" I asked, thoroughly confused. "All along? Even those times when we were still at St. Louis?"

He snapped, "Of course!"

What? When we were still both at St. Louis University, especially when he came back to the campus after his internship at the Sarmiento Corporation, Dylan and I developed a beautiful friendship. Well, that was what I thought. However, now, it struck me to discover that all those times when I thought that he was my friend, he was also friends with Nigel's other girl!

I even remembered telling him during Nigel's CEO-ship party how I got so discouraged of Nigel's proposal to that Maria Stella. Dylan didn't tell me back then that she was his friend. If he indeed knew Nigel's relationship with that woman, why did Dylan not tell me?

Now, I got so confused.

"They're madly in love with each other, Thea. In fact, they're getting married. There's no more way that you'll be with Nigel Sarmiento anymore."

Huh? Getting married? So, Nigel hadn't really left her. They were still engaged and they were already getting married!

It was some news that I didn't expect to hear tonight. I just had talked with Nigel in the phone and I didn't have a single clue on his forthcoming wedding. Even the past days, I didn't have even the slightest clue on his connection with Maria Stella. For years, I hadn't heard of her. I thought they had already ended their relationship.

Like a gush of strong wind, Dylan's words came to blow away the trust I had started to give Nigel. Now, doubts came to overpower my mind. All this time, was Nigel just pretending?

Just like what I comfortably did every time I felt hurt, I let the tears fell down my cheeks.

"No, it isn't true," I denied. "You're lying, Dylan. Nigel loves me. He only loves me. Yes, there have been other girls but they were not important to him." Though my mind wanted to believe Dylan, my heart still wanted me to have some faith on the man I loved.

I loved Nigel. He would only be the man that I could afford to love. He was my first love and I wanted him to be my last... and my forever.

Dylan laughed. "So, finally? He told you he loves you?"

"He loves me," I said firmly.

Shaking his head, he again laughed. "Althea Ruiz. Still the most innocent girl in the world."

"Let go of me, Dylan," I cried out.

"Nigel and Stella are getting married, Thea. You want a proof? Do you want a proof? Okay..." Still with his body imprisoning me, Dylan dug his phone in his pocket.

What proof was he going to give me? God, did this filthy bastard really have a proof? Was Nigel really lying to me? I was shaking hard and there was only one thing that I wanted to do right now --- to run away.

Dylan, grinning like a maniac, dialled some number in the phone. By and by, he started talking to a person in the other line, "I found her, finally found her... Althea Ruiz... Yes, Althea Ruiz... She's here in front of me. She's actually listening right now..."

Who was he talking with?

"I told her you and Nigel are getting married... Stella, talk to her, tell her the truth..."

Oh, so he was talking with Maria Stella?

"No, we can't let her live in lies, Stella. She needs to know the truth... I'm giving the phone to her... Tell her what she needs to know..." Dylan, then, transfered the phone to my left ear. "Speak, Thea. Stella's there. Ask her everything and she will tell you everything."