CHAPTER 13

Chapter Thirteen

                                                                             SAHARA

      I guess that everyone has a shock threshold. Peter's announcement is one of those times, and I had reached my limit. For a brief moment, I thought Peter is taking the piss; cynically joking, if you like. I leaned forward, then looked deeply into his eyes, eagerly searching for the tell tale signs of mischievousness. I found nothing to confirm what at first I thought I might have detected.

      "You're being serious, aren't you?"

      "As a heart attack. I'm all over it; like white on rice, Anton." I cringe I do so hate Americanisms. That said, I understood he is being genuine, and I smiled.

      From the kitchen I caught the sounds of the girls giggling. I spun round and noticed they were both looking at me, then at each-other, then, all at once, another giggle would erupt. I returned my gaze to Peter, while trying to ignore the ladies in the kitchen.

      "Bill has been keeping me up to speed, which I considered the gentlemanly thing to do. I'm only concerned you were going to do something very silly. My intention is, that you should consider, either keeping the status-quo, or thinking through all other scenarios. I can see a positive way forward in this intervention, and I have, therefore, decided I will back you, but only as long as you take on board, when proffered, good advice. Is that fully understood?"

      There is not a great deal I could say to counter a good selection of logical outpouring. I mused that if I were to do something daft, such as to bring Adolf Hitler back and have him stand for election to parliament. You can clearly see where I am going with this argument. I began to wonder what could Peter do to disrupt the process. The conclusion is, nothing really. If he wrote to the Prime Minister, or Shropshire County Council with information, there is a time machine in the cellar, he might receive a polite letter of acknowledgement, or, perhaps, be sent a tin foil hat. I found it hard to suppress a smile, but manage, I did.

      "I guess I have to do as I'm told. Maria would be pissed if you didn't bring round Rose twice a week. You know she doesn't drive, and Maria would have to serve time in the jail house for duffing me up."

      The girls came over and sat about, closely monitoring what plans I had been discussing with Paul and Mac. I detected Peter is impressed with most of what he had been told, but I wanted his input, thoughts, and what he could do. I would loved for him to be a sort of ambassador for us with Harold and Brithnoth, so I said as much. I noticed Peter's expression change, when I mentioned this new objective commitment to him.

       "Yes. There would certainly be a vast cultural difference to be bridged, of this I am most sure. If the Saxons were to turn against our men, there could, potentially, be a bloodbath. Our men could not be hurt, of course, but Harold might lose the sympathy of his army, especially if its seen for him to be favouring the twenty first century guys. I don't like to think about the fyrd becoming, in some aspects, jealous. They would probably attack the housecarls, then there would be a huge loss of life. Okay. I will act in that capacity, should you wish."

       "This is a democratic system, Peter. Bill, myself, Paul and Mac, Jim, Bones and now you, get to moulding them and help make all the decisions. The rest of the lads get to have their say too, of course. Though generally, our reprobattic band are quite happy to take what amounts, in effect, to orders."