CHAPTER 7

Chapter Seven

                                                               THE JOURNEY  

   Maria stood naked in front of the mirror, the residue from the talc powder she dabbed here-and-there falling to her feet. I fastened the ATP belt around my waist and pushed the green button. I slipped up behind her, squeezing her buttocks. I wrapped my arms securely around her and my wet tongue lapped across her cheek. Her face contorted and her eyes narrowed. SLAP! Her hand went to my thighs. I knew she hated her face licked. This is her usual response to a saliva attack.

       "Ouch!" she cried, "That frigging hurt my hand." She turned about, holding the offended appendage in her left hand, wiggled her fingers experimentally, then gazed up at me.

       "You're all... there is a sort of purple haze all around you. What have you done to yourself?" she shrieked. "Why are you naked and what is this belt with buttons that you are wearing?" she said, attempting a swipe at the ATP with her hand.

       "It is my personal force field, Maria. I cannot be harmed when the force field is activated."

   A look of utter astonishment spread across Maria's face as she tried, once more, to a grab hold of me. This time, my penis is the target, but again, Maria failed to make personal contact. She stood back and gazed at my naked body, its faint glow giving me angel-like appearance against the light of the bathroom window.

        "Is this what you have been doing in the cellar these last few days?" She inquired.

  I gained the distinct impression from her that my assiduous occupation with Peter and Bill could have been more productive.

        "If I tell you, Maria, will you assure me that you will please say nothing derogatory about our exploits in the laboratory? I mean it has to remain top secret."

        "If you are speaking of the so-called time machine, then I'm not deaf, Antony. I understand the significance of the toys you have down there, and of the science that goes along with your discovery. I have been listening intensely to what your little group has been discussing. If the time machine works, and I'd be too delighted if it does, then I want to go back and visit my father."

  Tears welled up in her eyes, and I wondered if she really would go back to see her deceased father. Would she want to come back? I thought, or would she want to remain in the past until her father died again? I would encourage her to give the idea some serious thought. The least I could do would be to give her the opportunity to go on her own reconnaissance. My musing lasted for but a few brief seconds, when Maria asked about the belt I'm wearing.

        "Allow me to explicate," I replied, searching for the right phrases that would help her comprehension of the device. I explained as best I could about the APT functions, and how the force field is suited to the individual via the computer's reading of their personal genetic data.

        "This is the first time I have experienced the force field in action, Antony. I'm impressed, though you owe mean apology for licking my face, you shit," she said, as she proceeded to dress. "My hand still hurts, too, by the way, and you made my face tingled, too," she continued.

         "It would make a wonderful family planning aid," I said, holding a grin.

  I laughed, but as we giggled, my mobile phone burst into life and I decided not to answer it. From the distinctive ring-tone, I knew that it must be Peter, calling, preferring to listen to his message, later on, I start to dress. Peter always called before coming over, I knew, too, that he looked forward to a breakfast, cooked by Maria.