Our breakfast is more a brunch, and Peter and Bill want to speak with Maria on the subject of today's test, as to her feelings on my forthcoming expedition.

  Maria wanted to ask Bill what would happen if she went back in time, if her doing so would affect history, and if so, how. Peter and I left Bill and Maria to converse in private, while we familiarised ourselves with the time machines functions and codes.

  The time machine is ready, except for setting the time, date of the journey to the future and adjusting the automatic return and the override function that allowed one to select the time, and place to arrive and come back from. I entered the vehicle and did what one might call a dummy run, with Peter monitoring the controls from the auxiliary computer in the laboratory. All that is stopping us from execution of the program is the energising of the main circuits. I had spent some time preparing for the moment that I am to travel, mindful of my familiarisation of the hardware and switches. Bill and Peter had already set the cover over the machine that would act as an ATP energiser, so that in the event of multiple persons traveling concurrently, the computer could multitask and protect not only the occupants, but also the time machine. There could be no errors, for we knew that just one atom being out of place could prove fatal. Also, we were bending space time. I wrote down everything, so that I made no mistakes when I wanted to return. My notes I slipped into my pocket.

  The sound of feet on the cellar steps indicate the approach of Bill, along with my wife, Maria, who had only been in the laboratory a couple of times, preferring not to interfere with our work. She had kept herself busy in various other ways. Though this is a moment I did not want her to miss. Once more, we are about to make history, a pioneering leap into the unknown and uncharted science.

   We gathered around Bill and readied ourselves for his pep-talk.

        "This is an auspicious, historical moment, "said Bill," This day will be recorded in the annuls of human history as the most significant scientific achievement since mankind first walked on the moon."

    Maria opened a bottle of Dom Pérignon, and showered us all with fine champagne.

        "I have four more bottles of this fine beverage," she said, as she filled our glasses.

        "The toast: To our venture. To the future and the past, may they always be with us," she extorted, jubilantly. Maria drank delicately, her consumption being far less then any of us, but the time for drinking is over. The occasion is upon me to ride the cataract of time and space.

  I am ushered over by Bill to sit in the time machine. I slid, delicately inside the wondrous superluminal vehicle I name Pegasus. Maria approach me. She gave me a long, lingering, kiss that I did not expect with company present.

        "If you bring back something nice for me, I'll give you something nice in return," she said, her eyes sparking with anticipation and wifely admiration.

  I felt somewhat embarrassed, yet I play the part, and pretended as though we were alone. I winked, then I gestured to Bill that I am ready to be his human guinea pig.

  The hum of transformers that powered the various electronic devices is almost a physical in sensation, and the intense smell of ozone filled the air of the laboratory. The huge extractor fan is turned on and the ozone removed. Bill energised the machine and a purple haze surrounded the time machine. Then, there is silence.

  I am gone, transported to another time, another place. I gazed out of the vehicle and saw that the sky is cloudless, the sun shone brightly, and the smell of summer is everywhere. I noticed the village shop just across the across the street, but the sign on the door read that the store is closed for lunch, so I pushed the green APT button and made my exit from the vehicle. The eerie purple glow surrounded me, and I felt conscious that others might notice the effect. There were a few shoppers walking about, carrying the bags of whatever they had bought, but none took notice of my presence. I crossed the street to enter the tobacconist shop that also doubled as a newspaper vendor.