Chapter 26

Brett POV

I hated leaving Avery to pick up Lori, but with how unsafe Beacon Hills had turned into for werewolves I couldn't help but be overprotective of her.

I turned down the street that would lead to the middle school that Lori went too. My phone started ringing, I looked down and the caller ID said it was Lori. I answered it.

"Hey, I'm almost there I can see the school," I told her

"NO! Brett stay where you are at! There are hunters in the school searching for me. I think they knew I would call you and they are looking for us!" She screaming into the phone. Instead of stopping I started running.

"Lori, stay calm. Where are you in the school?" I asked her

"I am in the math hall, room 316!" She said and then the line went dead. I ran as fast as I could as I prepared myself for the fight I was about to have in order to save my sister. As I got closer to the school, I saw a black van sitting outside. I assumed it belong to the hunters. I pulled out my phone to hopefully call in some sort of help, but I was getting no signal. I was on my own here.

I walked into the school and started searching for the math hall. I had never been inside Lori's school before and I was starting to regret that I had never been here before. I cuffed my hands near my ear in hopes of hearing either the hunters or Lori. I heard a shuffle come for a distance away. I walked outside into the mid area of the school. I had all the buildings of the middle school at an equal distance. I cuffed my ear again to hear an arrow being shot. I looked towards where the sound came from. I barely had enough time to duck out of the way, the arrow slide past my face and into the wall of the school next to me. I ran as fast as I could down any hall I could find. With my luck it happened to be the math hall. But Lori was no where to be found. I heard something clatter behind me and I looked down to see that it was my cell phone. I ran back to get it but an arrow was shot at me. I had to leave it behind. I ran to the turn and hid behind the hall. I looked around the corner and saw the hunter pick up my phone. What was he doing?

He unlocked my phone and I mentally cursed at myself for not having a passcode. The hunter help my phone up.

"Avery huh? She's got a lot of emojis beside her name, and I am willing to bet she is the person with you in the background on your phone. It would be a shame if I sent her a text telling her to meet you at the school." He said. He was trying to lure me out and it was working.

"She's a smart girl, she wouldn't come down here without a reason." I told him from behind the wall.

"Oh girls do stupid things when they are in love." He told me. My eyes widened at the words he spoke. Avery and I weren't that far into our relationship to be in love.

"It's not like that." I told him.

'Maybe not for you, but I have been watching you guys for a while and I am almost 100% sure she is head over heels in love with you. I mean why else would she deal with you being a werewolf. Only someone in love could live with that." He taunted me. He looked down at my phone and started typing. I took that opportunity to run after him, but he looked up as soon as he heard my steps and shot his crossbow. The arrow nailed me right in my left shoulder. I fell and turned around and took off. I knew he was probably going to text Avery, and I hoped to god that she wouldn't come or that she was asleep, anything in order to keep her away from this place. I ran into someone as I was running, this caused us both to fall and I landed right on my shoulder, sending the arrow all the way through my shoulder. I cringed in pain and look up to see my sister. I smiled in happiness.

"Oh thank god it was you I ran into. If it was a hunter I would have been dead." I told her.

"Yeah, I can see that. You need to get up before we actually run into a hunter. And we need to leave." She said. We ran back down the hallway I just came from and peaked around the corner. I needed to get my cell phone back from the hunter. When I looked around the corner I saw no hunter and my cell phone lying on the ground.

"Watch my back," I told Lori and made a dash for my cell phone. I looked to my left and right with every step I took. No one was in the hall way which scared me. I made it to my phone and grabbed it and ran back to Lori. My phone buzzed in my hand and I looked down.

From: Avery

I'm here at the middle school, where are you?