Chapter 8

AVERY POV

When Brett left that night, I went back to my research on the Hale family and was disappointed when I didn't find as much as I wanted to. Not that it even mattered I was just a nosy person who wanted to know why. When I woke up the next day, it was Monday, and that means I have school. I was waiting for the bus when Liam tapped on my shoulder.

"Hey Avery, how was your day yesterday, after what happened?" Liam asked me

"It was fine, I just sat at home until Brett came over and then all I did was talked to him until he left," I spoke.

"Brett came over? You guys are pretty serious, aren't you?" Liam asked, wiggling his eyebrows at me. I laughed at him.

"I don't know honestly. He keeps on saying that we are something but he never has put a label on it if you know what I mean," I told Liam truthfully. There was never any use lying to Liam, he made it a point to always find out the truth if he even thought there was a slim chance you were lying. I couldn't blame him though. I was the same way.

"What the hell does that even mean?" he asked.

"It means we aren't dating, but we are something. I think," I told him. There was an awkward short silence because I know Liam wanted to say something, but he didn't want to hurt my feelings. "Liam just say whatever you are going to say it."

"I'm not going to say anything, the bus is here anyways." He pointed to the bus. I rolled my eyes at him as the bus stopped and we got on it. We sat in our seats in silence as we pulled up to Devenford Prep. I got off the bus and heard someone whistle. Liam and I looked over and found a decent looking girl whistling at Liam. Liam only blushed and waved at her. I bumped him on the shoulder and nodded my head towards her.

He shook his head at me. "No, that is Thomas's ex girlfriend and he is a little insane when it has anything to do with her. I looked and him and laughed.

"You going to let some guy get in the way of being with a girl. That's not like-" I was cut off by bumping into someone again, It happened to be the same person I bumped into the first time.

"Didn't I tell you to watch where you were going?!" he yelled at me. I kept my head down and muttered an apology.

"Hey Thomas leave her alone man, she's a friend of mine." Liam defended me.

"Really Dunbar? You hang out with a loser like this. You better ditch this freak otherwise not many people will want to hang out with you." Thomas stated and he looked back over to me and raked his eyes up and down my body in a judgmental way. "I mean look at her outfit. Jeans that aren't skinny, and a t-shirt. Not a typical outfit for girls these day." He stated, he was hurting my feeling more and more every time he talked.

"I'm sorry that I don't dress the way you like. Not everyone wants to show off there body like a whore, I prefer if perverts like you didn't see every little curve in my body." I said

"Trust me sweetheart, no one wants to see your disgusting body." Thomas said,

"Thomas that's Brett's girl," Liam warned him.

"Yeah if our captain is going for something like that maybe we should question his judgement. Maybe Brett isn't fit to be captain." Thomas said.

" I am more than fit to be captain," a voice behind me said, I immediately recognized it as Brett's. I turned around and looked and him and smiled, "What's going on here?" he asked calmly.

"Thomas was messing with Avery about her looks. Practically bullying her." Liam said. Thomas looked like he was about to punch him in the face. I began to worry for Liam.

"Why the hell are you wasting your time bullying a freshman?" Brett asked.

BRETT POV

"Why the hell are you wasting your time bullying a freshman?" I asked Thomas. I had to keep my cool otherwise I would lose control of everything.

I'm weak. Avery shouldn't have this control over me. I'm constantly having to control myself so I don't wolf out on her or anyone who looks at her.

"Because this is the second damn time she has bumped into me, if she wanted my number all she has to do is ask. But I wouldn't even give her my number. I mean look at her, not my type." Thomas said. I looked over at Avery's face and saw her smile fall. What he said hurt her feelings really bad. I was beginning to lose my temper and I couldn't do that in front of any of them.

The sun, the moon, the truth. I kept repeating those words to myself over and over and over again until I felt it was safe enough to talk.

"Listen why would you judge someone that way, There is no need to bring down a freshman's ego more than it already is." Thomas was grinning at Avery, trying to hold back a laugh. "Plus she is my girl" I said and I heard a few gasps and watch Thomas's smile fade into a straight face.

"What?! No way man. You don't date. Listen if you don't want me bullying her that's fine but you don't have to lie to all of us." Thomas said. Every single word he said was one step closer to making Avery cry and honestly if she cried there would be nothing that anyone could do to save Thomas. I walked over to Avery and pulled her into a hug.

"My car is at the end of the parking lot to the right." I fished my keys out of my pocket and handed them to her. "You know what it looks like." I smirked at her and kissed the top of her head. She looked up at me and gave me a thankful smile before she left and went to my car.

"I won't be at practice today, but I will be back tomorrow. Tomorrow you better prepare for the worst practice of your life. If you weren't one of our best defenders I would sit you out for the game against Beacon Hills on Thursday." I threatened him.

"Come on Brett! Are you serious man?! I will apologize to her the next time I see her, I didn't know she was your girl though." he stated.

"It shouldn't matter whether or not she is my girl. You should be bullying people trying to bring them down. That's not something I want at school and I damn sure won't allow it on my team. Next time and I don't care who it is. You will be kicked off, do you understand?" I threatened.

"I don't think you have the authority to do that but yeah man I understand." he said

Instead of bitching at him a little more I just left and stomped down the parking lot. Everything I was seeing was red right now. When I got the sight of my mustang everything calmed down, only for a moment. When I got into the car I heard Avery crying. I got into my drivers seat.

"Avery talk to me, what exactly happened?" I asked. She put her face in her hands and shook her head at me. Fine, you want to play that game. I put the keys in the ignition and started to drive away.

"Wait where are we going?!" Avery said, slightly worried.

"We are playing hooky today, just you and I." I stated to her.

"What? We cant do that, I have classes and you have a lacrosse team to prepare for the game on Thursday." She said.

"All of those things are true, but we aren't doing that today. Today me and you are going for a walk in the woods without getting lost then we are going to your house for some Netflix and maybe we can go get dinner at the end of the day." I said, I wanted to cheer her up. Things that were said to her was unnecessary and I knew she was hurting from it.

"Why?" was all she said.

"Why what?" I said back.

"Why are you even trying? I know all those things he said about me are true, so why are you trying to do these things? To make me feel better cause you realized you don't want me?" She said. We arrived at the wood entry and I got out the car without saying anything. She got out of the car after a minute too. I held my hand out for her to take, she accepted it as we walked into the woods.