Could You Love A Beast?

The deafening sound of chatter and screams woke me up. It must have been early in the morning, many of the men who had returned were hurt and the others were still out there fighting. I had never seen so many injured before. They were walking in to be fixed up, and eat. They were oozing blood out every where and on top of that they were soaking wet from the rain last night. Most were laughing and talking about the battle and how many they had killed last night. I walked out into the room; they all got quiet and looked at me. I don’t know why they were staring at me or even why they quieted down.

  “How did you sleep last night?” One of the injured hollered at me.

I smiled at him politely. “I slept well; I guess I should start making breakfast for you guys”

A room full of people burst into laughter, Andrew made his way up to me smiling. “No, we have already started cooking breakfast”

 I just looked at him shocked that they had managed to cook, but I seen them as humans not as beast. They could handle more serious injuries than most humans could. I walked back into my room and turned the little radio, they had set up for me, on. I listened to the news, I felt alienated from the outside world. I was living in a world of beast and death; I wasn’t living in the world of humans who shrugged everything off. I tried to make a call but I had no signal.

  The voices had soon died down; they all headed out on hikes and most headed back out to fight. I waited until it was clear before I went into the tiny bathroom they had, so I could bathe myself. A good relaxing bath would help relax me, might be only for an hour but it would help. My muscles relaxed, I was at ease. I was content, it was peaceful and not one thought crossed my mind. All of the fear that was there was gone, I didn’t think about the battle or the deaths. The warm water had caressed my entire body, it had gone limp. There was even a slight breeze coming through the window, even thought it was cold it was still calming. I thought about a world full of peace, one were there was no battle a world, where Tyler and I were married and had children, a place were my mother and father were still alive. I imagined us sitting on the couch, Tyler passing out Christmas presents, and the children’s eyes lit up with delight. We had Christmas carolers outside our house singing Christmas songs, and a light snow began to fall to the ground. All was silent; we were all warm and thankful to be with each other. Tyler and I sat there hand in hand and watched as our children played, and my mother and father laughed joyously at them as they would play fight. There was no war where people were dying, there was no pain of losing Tyler and there was the comfort of my parents.

  I could see vividly, my children and me playing in the snow and Tyler video taping us. Everyone was laughing. The cars drove by slowly, and everyone in the neighborhood was out and about. Everyone was socializing with each other, and we were all together as one. It was a place like no other that nobody else had seen. That nobody would probably ever see, but it was a dream that I could dream. A place in my head where I could escape the reality of my life and imagine what it could have been like, and I was wishing I could stay forever. I know I couldn’t though; it was time to come back down to earth and deal with this problem head on. I opened my eyes and a small shiver went down my back. I knew it was time to get up and get ready for the new day, no matter what it would bring. I drained the tub, and wrapped myself in a towel. I was cold now and I could feel my muscles tense back up.

I quickly changed and made my way into the kitchen were, still a lot of men sat eating. I sat down next to Donny; he smiled at me and passed me a plate filled with pancakes, sausage, bacon, and toast. I had a cup of orange juice and a cup of milk to wash the food down. I felt reborn, the old layer of skin had been peeled off and the new layer was here. Donny looked at me and asked, “Do you feel better?”