Episode 8.1 ~ SpongeBob SquarePants

Start from the beginning

"Pajamas?" I look her over, she's dressed just as elegantly as if she's hosting a dinner party. I'm tempted to check my watch, but I'm not wearing one. That's when I realize PJ days may not have been a tradition my grandparents began. "I'll go change—"

Betty takes me by the hand and drags me inside. "That will have to do. The parade's started." Betty takes my coat.

I cross my arms over my T-shirt, feeling like a plucked chicken on display as five sets of eyes take me in. My Supergirl shirt and matching bottoms are paired with black snow boots with fur lining.

Sarah's polished lips turn upward. "You didn't bring Kal-El?"

After I get over the fact that Sarah knows something about superheroes, my gaze flickers to Jason. His eyes return their focus to the TV. He says nothing. Just like I thought it would be; I guess he won't be saving me anymore. And I should be happy about that, but I'd rather unleash Supergirl's fiery gaze on the long-legged source of Jason's change.

"I think she looks hot," Teddy chimes, grinning his dimpled grin. "Come sit before we miss Megs." He pats the spot on the sofa between him and Leah. Jason is on his other side with Sarah perched on the arm of the sofa.

I have to walk past them, brushing Jason's knees, to reach the open spot. The moment I sit, Betty thrusts a plate into my hand and says, "Eat. I'll pour your cider."

"How are your parents?" Frank asks from his recliner.

"Gut," I say, catching myself slipping back into Pennsylvania Dutch. "I talked to Daed this morning."

"I figured that's why you were late." Frank smiles and folds his hands over his belly. "You haven't missed anything."

"She hasn't missed, Megs," Betty corrects as she hands me a mug of steaming cider, having to lean over the coffee table that's weighed down with breakfast-y finger foods.

I set the empty plate on my lap in order to take the cup and saucer from her.

"Aren't you going to eat?" Betty asks.

"The parfaits are scruptious." Teddy grabs one and scoops a spoon full into his mouth.

Betty thanks Teddy with an indulgent smile but shoots me an scrutinizing look. "You're looking skinny. Fill your plate."

Grrrrr. If I were a werewolf, Twilight-style, I'd be shaking from head to foot.

"Do your parent's celebrate Thanksgiving?" Leah asks.

I nod. "Maem cooks for the whole family... and some friends."

"Where does she fit everyone?" Betty asks as she reloads the trays with tiny egg sandwiches, using the tongs to set two on my plate.

"Daed built a barn in the back for gatherings."

Betty purses her lips. I'm sure she's thinking my family is a bunch of animals for eating in a barn, but our barn is probably cleaner than her house. It's really just a very big building with lots of tables and chairs. People in our district use it for weddings. But I don't owe her a further explanation, so I keep my mouth shut.

"You must have a large family," Teddy says, genuinely interested.

My eyes flit around him. Jason's gaze is still firmly set on the TV, but he has to be able to hear us. Oh, well. If he wants to prove me right, all power to him.

"I have four sisters. And Maem is the youngest of eleven girls."

"Woah!" Teddy sets the empty parfait on the table. "So do you have any guys in your family at all."

"Cousins. Husbands."

"Martin is older than her mother," Betty interrupts from her perch on the arm of Frank's recliner. "So there are plenty of boys in the family, even if they don't live in Wooster."

Frank pats Betty's leg, but she brushes his hand off.

"There are a lot of children in the family," I admit.

"But the whole family isn't there," Betty amends, "only the Amish portion. Not all of my sisters stayed."

I turn to Teddy, ignoring my aunt. "Everyone who lives in Ohio joins us, Amish or not."

"But you are here," Betty snaps, "because you decided to remain English and they asked you to leave—"

"Is that SpongeBob?" Frank says loudly and points at the TV.

I swell up like a bird fluffing her feathers in the face of a predator. SpongeBob does indeed cross the screen, but my vision is tinted red and my hand fist around the cup of cider.

Betty crosses her arms and stares at the screen with a satisfied, superior sort of look.

I don't realize Leah's not watching the TV, she's watching me, until her hand clasps my knee. "For Megs," she whispers. "Stay calm for Megs."

"I need to go to the bathroom," I tell her.

She takes the cup and plate from me. I'm on my feet climbing over everyone to break free before I can cry angry, hurt tears, but a foot snags my ankle and I splay out on the carpet.

I glance over my shoulder.

Sarah's smiling. "Oops."

This time, Jason looks at me, right at me. I hesitate a moment, glaring back at him. But then he breaks the gaze and stares at his hands.

Why do I have to be right?

"Zia?" Leah says. 

Scrambling to my feet, I reach the door, thrust it open, and race down the steps. In the background, I hear my name called and footsteps following me, but I don't slow down. Bursting out onto the street, the air chills my bare arms. I don't even think; I dart across the street angling toward the alley. Martin. I need to see Martin.

But the alley is empty, clean even, and the footsteps have caught up with me.