Chapter 5 - Part 2

It was only when he pulled into the street we both lived on that I realized he was taking me to his house. Maybe he had a dungeon where he could keep me locked up. He pulled up in front of his house and switched the car off, glancing at me. He lived five houses down from mine.

"Don't try anything," he warned.

I didn't think he realized just how scared of him I was. I wasn't going to give him an excuse to hurt me. He got out of the car and walked around to stand next to the passenger side of the SUV while I climbed out. He led me into his empty house. I wasn't sure what I was expecting, but it certainly wasn't what I had been expecting. The layout of the house was similar to mine; it looked homely and normal.

I hesitated for a moment as he led me into the house and closed the door. He grabbed my hand and I followed behind him. He remained quiet as he led me up the stairs and into his bedroom. I was opposed to going into his room, but he just tugged me along and I didn't have a choice but to walk behind him. Once we were in his bedroom, he shut the door and dropped his car keys on a desk. He shrugged out of his black leather jacket and draped it over the chair by the desk.

"Sit down," he commanded me and motioned to the end of his bed. I walked over to his bed and sat down. I was trembling, and I wasn't sure if it was from nerves or the cold evening air. He went to his dresser and pulled something out and threw it at me. "Put it on."

It was a hoodie—he'd given me a hoodie to keep me warm. I didn't argue and pulled it over my head. The shivering continued despite the warmth of the hoodie.

"Thanks," I said, watching him walk over to the window.

"How much did you see, Ava?" he asked as he stared out of the window.

I bit my lip as I contemplated what to tell him.

"How much?" he prompted, looking angry.

"Enough," I said. There wasn't any point in lying. I didn't see his reaction because he still had his back to me. "What are you?" I whispered before I could stop myself.

He turned around and folded his arms. "What do you think I am?"

"I don't know. What you did in that clearing isn't possible..."

I watched him as he contemplated what I said. I was sure he was thinking about the best way to tell me what he needed to.

"Well, at least not for a human." There, I'd said it. Whatever he was, he was definitely not human. My words hung in the air between us, adding to the tension in the room.

"You can't tell anyone what you saw me do in the clearing and you can't tell anyone what I'm about to tell you now. Do you understand?" he demanded.

I nodded my head in agreement. He had that air of authority that made you want to obey what he commanded.

"I'm human," he said at last as he dragged a hand through his hair roughly. He looked at me while I processed what he had said.

I shot an unbelieving look at him.

"Humans can't do what you did," I said in a disbelieving tone. How stupid did he think I was? His features looked so serious as he studied me for a moment.

"I'm human and more," he added.

More. It was so cryptic.

One second of silence led into another.

"I'm an Archaic," he finally revealed. I had never heard that before. I stared back at him with the puzzled look on my face. I just wished he would explain the whole thing outright. Maybe he was telling me slowly so I wouldn't overreact, but it was still annoying.