"You know, we should get wasted," he says. "I've never seen you totally drunk off your ass, and you've never seen me like that."

"It's Sunday!" I exclaim. "We have school tomorrow." Otherwise, honestly, I'd do it.

Ash smirks, shaking his head as he flips onto his side to look at me. "Nope, teacher conference day, remember?"

"Well, then, Ash! Let's get us some alcohol!" I cheer. He laughs and gets up, grabbing his keys off the counter. My face twists with confusion. "Wait, where are we even getting it from?"

He smiles wickedly, opening the front door. "I know some people," he says, and then he walks out.

I hurry to get outside and by the time I do, Ash is already waiting for me in his car. I slide in and buckle up, and he backs out of the small, gravel driveway.

After fifteen quiet minutes, I say, "hey, by the way, my mom would love to meet you."

He smiles, glances over at me quickly before directing his eyes on the road ahead. "That's good. I'm actually excited."

"Yeah. My mom just broke up with her boyfriend. That's why she was drinking so much. Now he's acting all obsessed and shit," I explain.

Ashton nods and doesn't say anything more. Eventually we pull into a sketchy looking gas station. He climbs out and, hesitantly, I follow him.

It looks even scarier on the inside, I discover. It's dirty and grimy, and it smells like something died. My hand is clasped on Ashton's arm tightly as he approaches a middle-aged man behind the counter. He's heavy, his head is bald, and he has a mustache.

"Quent," Ashton says. The man, well, Quent, looks up and smiles as soon as he sees Ash.

"Irwin! Haven't seen you in a while. How you doin', man?"

"Good, good. This is Ella," Ashton tells him. I smile nervously and step out from behind Ashton. "My girlfriend."

Quent laughs, and then he stops, like he thought Ash was joking and then realized he really wasn't. "You kids get whatever you need, I'll ring you up. I'm the only one working here right now."

At last Ashton and I walk away. We immediately head to the liquor section. I see a bottle similar to my mother's vodka and grab it from the freezer. Ashton grabs a twelve pack of beer. I take a small bottle of cherry margarita. Ashton chooses an enormous bottle of tequila.

"Babe, I don't think we'll drink all of this," he chuckles.

"Leftovers," I reply, shrugging.

"I'll take this to the counter," he tells me and I hand over the alcohol. "Go get some candy, baby girl."

I giggle and stand up on my tiptoes to press my lips to his briefly. "Thanks, daddy," I tease, pulling away.

I nearly skip to the candy section. I choose a variety of different gummies, some chocolates, and peanut butter cups. I put all this on the counter at the front. Ashton tosses down two twenties, takes the bags of candy and alcohol and says to Quent, "keep the change, bud. See you next time."

"How often do you do this?" I ask as we return to the car.

"Not as often as you'd think," he says. "Every once in a while when I need a drink. Quent's my guy for that stuff."

"How do you know each other?"

Ashton sighs. "It's a long story. You sure you want to know now?"

I nod slowly. "If that's okay, then yes."

"It was the night my mom chose her dumb ass boyfriend over me. I stormed out, and I had no where to go. Except for my uncle's house. He and I were close. I went over there and when I refused to explain anything to him, he got me drunk. He's a pretty great uncle, I'd say. He's the owner of that gas station, and he lets me buy what I want from time to time.

"And he knows the owner of the trailer park, so that's why I live there. He's the only family member I still keep contact with."

When Ashton finishes, we're pulled into his little driveway. "Thank you telling me," I say, smiling. He nods and gets out. I help him carry stuff in and while he sets everything out, I text my mother that I'm staying at Paula's and we don't have school tomorrow anyways.

I sit down on the bed and Ashton seats himself beside me. "You really want to do this?" He asks me, popping open a can of beer.

I bite my lip and reach for the bottle of vodka I picked out. "Yep," I answer, cracking open the top. I take a swig and it burns my throat as it goes down, but soon I'm used to the sensation and I tilt the bottle back once again.

-
thank you for reading, and i hope you liked the chapter! :) now i'm gonna go make myself a cheese burger >:)