Act 1.5: The Day That Time Forgot

Start from the beginning

"Put your arms by your side," I sighed.

She shivered in fear as she obeyed. I reached over and pocketed the ring box.

"Now, you would like to give this ring to me, wouldn't you?" I suggested.

She nodded and I smiled back.

"What's your name?" I questioned.

"K-Katherine," she stuttered.

I nodded thoughtfully. "Nice to meet you, my name is Eoin. Now, forget you've ever met me. Forget what I've told you. Erase your pesky CCTV tape when I leave."

She blinked and shuttered. Raising a hand to her wet face, Katherine widened her eyes at me.

"Oh, I'm truly sorry, sir. I don't know what came over me, excuse my indecency," she apologized.

The ring box burned in my pocket as I faked a concerned expression. "No worries, miss. I was trying to call you back, you started crying and I was checking on you."

"Cheers, mate. I hope you've found what you've needed, fancy any assistance?"

"No, I've gotten just what I came for."

15

"One more try."

I pushed my cardigan sleeves to my elbows and reached out to the deck of cards. I put all my energy on the stack, my forehead was damp with sweat and wrinkled from my straining.

Knocks disrupted my focus.

"Yes?" I called out.

Tabitha opened my bedroom doors and made herself presentable.

"Master Finn has arrived," she announced.

My breath caught in my throat as the name left her tongue.

"Is there anyone accompanying him?" I questioned.

"No, sir. He is alone," she concluded.

I furrowed my brow. "Send him up."

Tabitha bowed her head and turned back down the corridor, down the grand staircase.

I looked back to my cards and applied a nonchalant effort into lifting the deck. The first card slid off the top, onto the duvet. My eyes widened at the sight and curled my fingers, gesturing for another card to fall off the top.

It flipped with a little more force, suit facing up. I smiled at my year-long efforts finally showing progress.

"Hey, Eoin."

I looked up at the timid voice of Finn. He shyly fiddled with his jacket, standing in the doorway. His multicolored hair covered his green doe eyes that made short bouts of eye contact.

"Hello, Finn. What brings you here on a Sunday? Without Penelope or Quinn, I see."

Finn brushed the hair out his eyes as he looked up fully. "I-I thought maybe you'd like someone to talk to. You're not a complete recluse and it's been two years, but talking to someone helps."

I smiled softly. "I'd be delighted, come sit."

He shuffled his sneaker covered feet over to my four poster bed and climbed with great effort onto the high mattress.

"Mind if I join your card game of one?" He joked as he gestured to the messy deck.

"Not at all," I accepted with another smile.

I collected and shuffled the cards before dealing us each 10 cards. We then engaged in an invigorating game of Go Fish.

"How have you've been feeling?" He questioned as he organized a few pairs.