Act 2: Friend or Foe?

Present

"For he's a jolly good fellow, for he's a jolly good fellow, for he's a jolly good fellow! Which nobody can deny!"

I rolled my eyes at Penelope's crude singing as she skipped towards me with a giant vanilla birthday cake with a blue 18 on top.

"Happy birthday!" My small group of misfits cheered.

I blew out the candles with very little enthusiasm. My three closest friends clapped as the staff cut up the cake for us.

"What'd you wish for?" Penelope prodded.

"Now, Penny," I drawled. "You know that it wouldn't come true if I told you."

"You didn't wish for anything, did you?"

"Nope, not at all."

She groaned. "Don't you want anything?"

I shrugged. "With a house like this and the leverage I have, there's not one single material possession I want that I couldn't get myself."

She frowned at that, but then smirked mischievously.

"Material, eh?" She stated. "That means you want something intangible."

I squirmed a little in my chair as my inner emotions try to come out.

"Perhaps," I concluded.

Finn and Quinn just looked at each across the table as Penelope and I had a staring contest.

"So...are we gonna eat cake or interrogate each other?" Finn interrupted.

"As Queen Marie Antoinette said, let them eat cake!" Penelope declared.

"She never said that," I mumbled under my breath.

"What was that, Eoin?"

"Let's get fat!"

"I thought so."

We then continued to devour the delicious 3-layered cake until we all felt our food babies grow. We rolled ourselves out into the living room to have a horror/sci-fi film marathon as the staff cleaned up.

"Lame!" I shouted at the stereotypical blonde bimbo, who lost her way in the woods.

"It's a B rated slasher movie. I'm surprised that girl doesn't have obscenely huge knockers," Penelope commented.

"Why are you looking at her breasts?" Quinn inquired, looking pointedly at Penny.

"For...uh research purposes?" Penelope stammered.

"Mhmm."

Finn and I snickered at the fear on Penelope's face as her much smaller girlfriend gave her the death stare.

"Shut up!" Penny called out with an apparent blush on her cheeks.

"Harsh words, Penelope. I'm hurt," I quipped.

She flipped me off and turned her attention back to the home theater. The night went on like that, us bickering and playfully arguing. 5 movies in, around 3 in the morning, one by one they drifted off. Quinn and Penelope snuggled peacefully on one couch and Finn hugged his small body into my chest, snoring quietly like a mouse.

Halfway through the 6th movie, I heard the rattle of the front door ever so slightly. I thought it was the wind pushing against the lock, until the sound of the knob being twisted filled the air.

My breath hitched as light footsteps followed, then heavier footsteps.

"Oi, walk quieter. I hear the telly in the next room," one voice whispered.