Chapter 18: The Devil's Return

Start from the beginning

She slowly rose to her feet.

I stood as well. "Do you know where he is?" I asked again. "Simple yes or no would be great."

She stared at me, examining my appearance. "It's you."

"Good god," I breathed, rubbing my forehead. "Shock always make them useless." I started down the beach. "Sorry about him." I motioned toward the man. "He'll be fine in a few weeks."

I searched the area for an hour or so with no luck and found myself standing in front of the home I built. It held together pretty well for being around 300 years old. Didn't trust opening the door, though, as it appeared it might bring the whole place down. I'd be sure to mention it to my dad. The fort he built for me as a kid barely lasted a summer before it collapsed.

Sitting down on a boulder, I took the tablet out to find my location. Raja didn't seem to be here. I had to figure out where to look next. The local graveyard might be my best choice. Eric better pray otherwise.

I stopped what I was doing and listened; steady humming, shifting sand. Groaning, I took off my bag and shoved it under the dock. I quickly slipped into the water and swam out to the platforms around my house. I grabbed onto one of the bases and waited.

The boards strained above me as men passed overhead. They checked the entire area from returning to the beach. I swam to the far wall of the cove and climbed out.

Scaling the rock wall, I settled on a ledge.

A man in purple stood there in front of a gathering.

"Nothing, my lord," said a soldier.

"Are you sure you saw him go here?" breathed the man to the woman.

She nodded. "The devil. His eyes were red. He was looking for the great one. He came to retrieve his pet."

"The devil," I whispered. This placed hadn't changed that much.

The man shook his head. "I'm sure he was just a man."

I knew that voice.

"His eyes were red. He was the devil."

The lord motioned around the area. "He must have returned to hell because I don't see him."

I reached for my gun and aimed at the leader. What a bastard.

She bowed her head. "I saw him, Overlord Eadwyn." She backup to the other villages that had gathered in the treeline. "I know I did."

"The devil plays tricks," the lord announced to the people. "Return to your homes. I assure you everything is fine. There is no one here."

The people started to disperse.

"Find him," hissed the lord in a hushed voice. "And kill him."

Typical Thanos, they'd always be horrible leaders. I pulled the trigger, and Eadwyn lurched forward, holding his arm. A guard pulled his weapon, and I dropped him before he could get it out of the holster. It was a flesh wound, calm down.

"It's the devil!" screamed the woman. "I knew he was here. He'll seek revenge on us for taking his pet. We're all doomed!"

"Where is he, Eadwyn?" I called. "Tell me, or you can go out like your dad with a bullet between your eyes."

He turned toward the rock with a forced smile. "Tobias, welcome."

"It's him," whispered an older man. "The devil has returned to Glek."

"Where's Raja?" I spotted a guard trying to slip out his weapon and shot him in the hand.

Grimacing, he dropped to his knees and tried to stop the bleeding.