Chapter 3

"Right now it's pretty crazy..."

--- ⚡️

Hermione's POV

Professor Moody's Defence Against The Dark Arts classes were plain terrifying. He had shown them the three unforgivable curses in their first class, and at their second class, half the students didn't dare to even show up.

On the other hand, things with Harry were getting better now, as classes resumed. He had filled her in about the strange dreams he'd been having, and everything that he saw as suspicious activity. As they spent more time together, Hermione slowly learned to conceal her feelings. Unfortunately, not being that good of an actress, half the Gryffindor girls gave her knowing smiles as they passed her in the hallways nowadays.

Thank goodness Ginny didn't know. Or did she? Hermione would hate to think of how Ginny would react if she found out. She noticed herself avoiding her eyes every time they made conversation.

⚡️ A few days before the champion selection... ⚡️

Hermione clapped politely as Cedric Diggory entered his name into the goblet, spellbook open on her lap

Hermione clapped politely as Cedric Diggory entered his name into the goblet, spellbook open on her lap. She couldn't help herself as her eyes darted to Harry again.

Hermione sighed as he rolled up his sleeves on his uniform sweater and absentmindedly ran a hand through his messy hair as he listened to Ron rambling on about. She knew that Harry didn't do them on purpose, that he probably didn't even know that he was doing it, but she just couldn't help noticing. Had he always done that? All through third yea-

Her thoughts were interrupted by sudden loud cheering in the Great Hall as Fred and George ran in, holding up what looked like aging potions. According to Ron, they'd been plotting a way to enter their names into the tournament. 

"Cooked it up just this morning!" Fred announced, holding the little vial up to the dim blue light.

"Been planning this for days!" George chimed in, grinning.

Hermione sighed. When will they learn?

"It's not going to work!" she said in a sing-songy voice and proceeded to casually flip the pages of her spellbook as Fred and George plopped down on either side of her.

"And why's that, Granger?" Fred retorted, glancing at her with raised eyebrows.

Hermione tutted and launched into a detailed explanation about age lines, and stopped abruptly when the twins patted her on the knee and scurried off.

Hermione gave a small sigh, raising her eyebrows at nobody in particular, then turned back to her spellbook, which was far more appealing than everything going on in front of her.

She could hear cheers and whoops as Fred and George hopped past the age line, then couldn't help a little smirk from crossing her face as she heard the enchanted fire go out of control, booting them out when they tried putting their name in.