Clare

I led Cavallo out of his stall and down the barn aisle. Other stalled horses whickered as we passed, occasionally turning from food or hay to see what was going on. Jason followed cautiously behind, staying a safe distance away from Cav. Taylor was already in the ring when I arrived, working Maxine, one of Bailey's lesson horses, over poles. Taylor rode often, as her parents bought her a horse when she met me and began to show interest. After working with several trainers, Taylor decided she liked Bailey best, and began taking private lessons from Bailey. Since Tay couldn't bring her horse here, Bailey used to drive to Taylor's ranch house for lessons. Now, Taylor had a personal trainer that lived at the ranch and helped look after the horses. Taylor still likes Bailey better, but having a personal trainer made life easier for Bailey.

"Mia, you're riding western?" I nodded at Bailey, who was leaning on the fence instructing Taylor. "Ok, but Clare's coming today, so you might want to consider." Clare Evans, another of Bailey's students, was a good friend of mine, and when we had lessons together, we often practiced for the Olympics. Both of us hoped to make the US Equestrian team someday, so we often practice team work and team events.

"I'm good! I'll see if I can reschedule one of my lessons with her!" Jason comes around Cav and makes his way to the fencing next to Bailey. They get into a conversation, likely about horses, (Bailey has a tendency to do that) and I focus on checking my girth. Once I've adjusted my tack, I swing into my saddle. Cavallo gets a little excited and bucks, but I calm him down before asking for a walk. Cavallo picks up an English walk, so I collect him and slow him down to a nice Western pleasure walk. We amble along the rail, Cavallo bathing in the warm sun. With summer so close, Cavallo's coat has lightened from the sunshine. His winter coat has already shed, and the short, coarse hairs have gone from dark bay to light. I adjust my split reins and slide my right hand behind my thigh before asking Cavallo for a jog. The slow, steady gait rocks me in a gentle motion. Taylor steers Max over to my side and we ride along the rail.

"Jason IS cute. You two should totally get together." Taylor nods her head in a sarcastic manner.

"Tay, no. I don't have time for a boyfriend. I only have time for one guy in my life, and it's this guy right here." I lean down to pat Cav's ginormous neck. Cavallo snorts, which I take as his way of saying 'That's me!! Right here! About time you focus on MEEEEE!!' "How are you liking Max?? She's a barrel horse like Carson." Taylor was a rodeo legend for barrel racing with some of the fastest times in Indiana. She and her Quarter horse gelding Carson had gone on to win the North East Barrel Racing Championship, with a time of 12.4 seconds.

"She's okay, but I haven't tested her speed. Wanna race?"

"Uh, no. Last time we raced, you were on Carson in an open field. I was on your mother's pleasure horse. And right now, you're on Maxine, Bailey's fastest barrel horse. I am on Cavallo, my dressage/jumping horse. I stand no chance." Taylor groaned but continued to walk around the ring with me. "Why don't you see if Jason and Bailey can set up barrels for you? I'd like to see how fast you and Maxine can go. Just don't over work her, she's still a lesson horse."

"Okay. I'll try!" While Taylor went to discuss barrel setups, I asked Cavallo for a nice steady lope. As we made our way around the arena, I noticed a tall, skinny, brown haired girl leading a muscular palomino out of the barn. Even after a year, I recognized this pair anywhere. (Ha! That rhymes! ;) Well, somewhat)

"Clare!!!" I turned Cavallo towards the middle of the ring and asked for a flying lead change. We loped straight through the middle of the ring, careful to avoid Taylor's barrels, and I spur stopped Cavallo on the edge of the arena. Clare smiled and waved with her free hand, still steadily walking towards the gate. I backed Cavallo away, allowing Clare to lead in Johnson, her palomino thoroughbred. Johnson and Clare were an amazing
team, especially in cross country. They had competed at Nationals two years ago, bringing home a third.

"Hey Mia!" Clare spoke in a soft voice, which I found surprising. The last time I'd seen Clare, she'd been bright, spirited, and much louder. Now, she was timid, quiet, and had dark circles under her eyes. I looked over to Johnson, and noticed a deep scar on his hip. That's new. I hopped off of Cavallo and walked to Clare. Cavallo stood, sensing the dark mood. I came up behind Clare, who was double checking Johnson's girth. I threw my arms around her slender frame. Clare leaned into the friendly hug, small tears dripping down her cheeks.

"Thanks Mia. I missed you." Clare pulled away, wiping tears from her face.

"No problem." By now, I was crying too. "What happened to Johnson?" The deep scar was puzzling me, and Clare had never been one for secrets.

"Can we go to the Lounge to talk about this? I'll drive." The Lounge was mine, Taylor's, and Clare's special 'fort' where we went to talk about random things. The Lounge was on a piece of Taylor's property, since she had so much land, but was very far out. I nodded, and Clare mounted Johnston. I remounted Cav, walking along the rail with Clare.

I know, sort of a weird place to leave off. You'll find out more about Clare and the deep scar in the next chapter, stay tuned.  Here's Clare:

  Here's Clare: