One

a/n: This will take place before the events of Zeus and Hercules.
Hades
| one | hades is two years old. 

Becoming the mate of an Alpha was something that most female wolves had been taught to aim for. The craving for a male who knew how to protect his family, along with gaining the respect of his pack members; a man who knew the way of the world. Throughout generations, the males had been taught how to increase their strength, stamina and defiance to accepting weaklings, whilst the females were shown how to be pretty and feminine in the hopes of catching the attention of a big, burly strong male. 

But that was a time before mates were created. 

Although the younger generations wished for a loving mate, the rules still applied; stick to the required gender roles. Males continued to compete for land, and females remained hopeful that the Moon Goddess would give them an Alpha male as their appointed mates. 

But Maia was different. 

Meeting her mate was something she had always feared, despite her mother's protests. 

"The stronger he is, the stronger the seed," Cynthia used to tell her daughters. "And the stronger the seed, the stronger the pups." 

The eldest of the two of them, albeit by a few minutes, Leto was the sister that remained hopeful, striving towards their mother's dream of an Alpha being mated to one of her daughters. Yet Maia refused to partake in any social gathering to avoid exactly that. 

Until one day, news spread that the Alpha of the Winterstone Pack was looking for his mate. 

Just like any other teenage girl, Leto was excited, driven by hormones and the encouragement of her fellow friends. Unlike her twin sister, Maia locked herself away in her room, nose stuck inside a book. But her mother refused to let it go, forcefully dragging Maia down the stairs as soon as word reached that the Alpha had arrived on their lands. 

Seeing Alpha Adonis was something that Maia had always remembered. 

He had sauntered into the middle of the pack grounds, head held high, his tall frame muscular and tanned. Maia lowered her head in submission, as did every other female in the pack, hiding behind the others as she watched him walk towards her father, the two of them speaking in hushed voices. Leto shot her sister a giddy smile, nervously shifting on the spot, Maia frowning back at her. 

Until she turned her head and understood. Alpha Adonis hadn't come alone, merely accompanied by his Beta. "It's him," Leto whispered in her sister's ear. "I can feel it." 

Maia looked at the Beta. He was almost as tall as his Alpha, his blonde hair falling in waves to his shoulders, emerald eyes scanning the crowd that had gathered. His powerful arms were crossed over his chest, his figure rigid as his gaze finally landed on the sisters. 

"You," He said, taking a step towards the crowd, his right index finger pointing towards Leto. 

By now, Adonis and Maia's father, Morpheus, had their attention, watching as the Beta stared at the twins, his eyes gleaming as he looked from one sister to the other. Maia's stomach clenched uncomfortably as the Beta took another step forward. 

"Mine," He hissed, pushing past the other girls that watched him, bewildered. His hand locked around Leto's upper arm, pulling her towards him. Maia watched, wide eyed as he lowered his head, his nose pressing against her sister's neck. She remained transfixed as the Beta suddenly marked her twin, a scream escaping Leto as she fell into his arms. 

Maia jumped forward, when a hand stopped her, grabbing a hold of her shoulder. She felt warmth spread along her skin, eyes closing briefly as she looked up, meeting a pair of bright blue orbs.