Chapter 8

Enid's POV

I had been looking everywhere for Carl. I had asked Rick, but he said he hasn't seen him since the funeral.

He wouldn't be outside the walls. That I knew. I suddenly thought of a location and started running.

I slowed once I got to the lake, I did in fact see Carl sitting on the edge of the dock.

I slowly walked towards him and sat down next to him, putting little space between us. He didn't look up at me.

We sat in silence, looking out at the lake. Finally, Carl said, "You were an idiot to come find us today."

I looked at him, "You would be dead if I hadn't," I said, and looked back out.

"We didn't just lose Maggie today," Carl sighed. "We lost a baby." He sounded like he was on the verge of tears.

"And plus," he said, "I would rather die than put you in any form of danger."

Man, he was really sweet. "Why do you care so much about me?" I asked.

Carl sighed heavily and looked at me. "I love you, okay?" he said. "And yes, it's very cheesy but...I do."

My heart swelled with affection. He loved me back. The rational part of my brain was screaming at me not to get attached but I didn't listen because I knew it was too late.

"I love you, too," I whispered.

He smiled warmly as I laid my head on his shoulder. He put his arm around me.

"We are totally in a Nicholas Sparks movie right now," Carl said quietly.

I laughed. Horrible things may have happened in the past 24 hours, but right now, I was okay.

I was happy.
----------------------------------------------
Author's note: The end! This chapter was so cheesy, I know, I know. I'm planning on making a sequel to this story so stay tuned!