Chapter 2

Enid's POV

No matter how hard I pushed against the door, it wouldn't budge. Man, I was gonna kill Carl when he came back...if he came back. No, he will come back, I know he will. He's a tough guy.

I screamed for someone, anyone, to get me out. This went on for around an hour until I heard shuffling feet come into the armory. They unlocked the door and I stumbled out. I said a quick thanks to them before I ran out.

I looked for someone in the group. God, they all must have went. I suddenly spotted Gabe talking to one of the lookouts. I ran towards him.

"Gabriel!" I yelled. He turned towards me with a surprised look on his face.

"Enid?" he said as I stopped in front of him.

"If I left now," I said, " do you think I would be able to catch up with the group?"

Gabe gave me a confused look. "Weren't you supposed to go with them?"

"Yeah, I was but Carl locked me in a closet...long story," I told him. "Do you think I could?"

"I don't know, Enid, they left a while ago," he told me.

I lowered my voice as I asked him, "You wouldn't say anything to anyone if I ran after them, would you?"

He pursed his lips for a moment then said, "My lips are sealed."

"Oh thank you, Gabriel!" I said, then ran off. I grabbed my knife from my house and a pistol and ammo from the amory.

I ran to the gate which Gabe opened for me. "Good luck," he said.

I gave him a stiff nod, then ran out. Carl and the rest of them weren't going to die if I had anything to say about it.