Chapter 36 Time of War Part 2

Chapter 36 Time of War 2

Before the first rays of daylight posed over the snow covered woods, the army marched to battle, following the main trail that intersected the woods. Formation was organized and neatly aligned. They will march a whole day, camping behind the slopes of the Athame hills... if weather persists as calmed as today. Any blizzard or storm might delay their advance.

Three rows of ten horses each flanked the battalion. Two of them were carrying the colors of the kingdom. Amongst the riders were the prince and Captain Von Freidd. One hundred soldiers by foot covered with heavy armors and furs looked elegantly as they marched through the snowy path. These were the front line of attack, carrying sharp swords and long spears. Behind were the archers, including Maik and two of his friends from the village. Two more groups completed the armada: one composed by healers, squires and messengers, and the final group of cavalry men that guarded the retaguardia in the rear.

They marched for hours and hours, passing by villages and entering deep in the woods. The weather was very cold this day. A soft breeze chilled the exposed areas of their bodies, but they needed to proceed. Finally they were near the end of the woods and they will arrive soon the region of the Pobel Vean. This was an uninhabited area of the kingdom. It was a sacred place. Legends tell that the "small people" that once populated these valleys were masters in war and craftsmanship. They ruled over the element of fire and showed the art of making weapons to the locals.

It was a time of war. The "small people" existed merrily in the Pobel Vean region. They lived in their tiny houses built in the slopes of the hills. Some of they were farmers and fishermen, but they were skilled in craftsmanship and the forge. They were masters of fire and built the most beautiful ad durable weapons known by mankind. The small people were of dark in complexion but related to the dwarfs that lived in the woods nearby.

The Pobel Vean people were peaceful in their hearts, but the constant raids of the Barbarians and other nomad tribes made their peace vanished. The invasions were continual and violent. The "small people" was exterminated by gruesome raids. Their villages were reduced to ashes. It was a difficult era when the Northern Continent wasn't configured. The north was invaded by lots, conquered by some and that was how the kingdoms were formed. The strongest survived and claimed territories and realms were established...

The few of the small people remaining fled, abandoning their valley and interning deep in the woods. Their race was condemned to eternal exile by fate.The survivors spread through the four points of the world known... Throughout the history of human kind they are responsible for making the most famous weapons and magic swords in history: the Sword of Attila, Legbiter, Sword of Mercy, Grus, Joyeuse (Charlmagne sword), Tizona, Excalibur and the Wallace Sword, amongst others.

The battalion camped that night in a clear by the end of the woods. The tents were set up, bonfires were made, and the weapons were prepared. Prince Alasther was giving the last orders to the officers in command, when Maik entered the tent where the officers were meeting.

-"Maik, come in." - The prince told Maik as he dismissed all the officers.

-"Can I have a word with you, Your Highness?"

-"Sure. What would that be, Maik."

-"Maybe this is not the proper time to ask, but I need to know... Uhm... You are certainly in love with my Am... aren't you?"

-"Yes I am, Maik. I love her with all my soul. Tomorrow I will kill for her... as you can see."

-"The other day I saw you... both of you... behind Am's cottage..."- Now Maik's voice was broken. He was looking straight to the prince's face.

-"I... It was not what you... well... I never intended to disrespect her. It just happened..." -The prince tried to excuse himself but words were not coming exactly how he wanted to from his mouth.

-"Is she in love with you too? She chose you, hadn't she?"- Maik's eyes watered and he tried to swallow in vain a big lump in his throat.

-"Yes, Maik, she told me so... Maik, I'm sorry. I know that you loved her before I've met her... but..." - The prince tried to be empathetic, but Maik interrupted him.

-"There is nothing to be sorry of. Deeply I knew she was not for me... All these years and she always cared for me like her best friend... Prince Alasther, she is one of a kind... She is a wonderful woman... Tomorrow we will kill those bastards and win this battle in her name. But you have to promise nobody, including you, would harm her... You would make her happy as I wish she could be with me."

-"Yes, Maik, I promise. I will protect her with my life. She would be the queen of Abhainn and she will be happy. I swear."

Both gentlemen stretched their hands to seal the promise and each one went to their tents to rest. It would be a long night and a difficult day tomorrow...War was approaching with dawn.

************************************************************

That night Am was kneeling by her bed in the castle. She was praying fervently. She prayed God for her prince, for Maik and for the rest of the soldiers...

"...God I never intended to be a bad woman. I wanted to keep my soul pure. What I've done to put an entire kingdom in this situation? The only thing that I've done is to love and to be loved. You know that I never wanted to hurt Maik... Since the first time I saw my prince I'd loved him... And I love him now more that before... just bring me both Maik and Alasther alive and unharmed. I promise I would be a good person in spirit and character... Please, bring them back to the castle safe... In the name of the Holy Spirit and Jesus, Your Son, Amen."

Am laid on her bed crying with despair... sobbing she fell asleep.