Chapter 11 Unaware

Chapter 11 Unaware

Part I

Things were going as usual as always in the village. A whole month had passed since the latest events in the castle. Every time the girls went to do laundry, Am had to tell and retell the story of that romantic ball when she danced with the prince and enchanted a rich duke. And each time she narrated the fairy-tale-like part of the dance with the prince, her heart became a turmoil and her stomach a butterfly nest.

Every night she dreamt recalling the unreal events that took place in the ball with Prince Alasther. She also dreamt with absurd duels between Lord Roderick and Prince Alasther; or between Maik and the Prince... it had become a fuss in her mind but Am cherished those moments in the castle. Moments she knew will never repeat again...

The girls felt very happy for Am, and for her, everything seemed like a fairytale. And in that fairytale, Am's friends had already predicted the outcome: she would marry the duke, and they will live happily ever after. The girls learned to love charming Lord Roderick through Am's narrations and the vivid descriptions of the events in the castle. The handsome duke was very kind and a fine gentleman the time they spent together during the ball and the tournament.

Lord Roderick and Am had become acquainted and even though, the duke was attending some affairs out of the kingdom they kept in communication by exchanging letters for the last month.

'My beloved Lady Amalthea,

It's being an eternity since that wonderful time we met at the King's Castle. I was blessed with your company for I had great time. Your good character and kindness for my person is something I cherish deep in the lovely memories I share of you. My heart beats with the image of the splendor of your essence and it longs for the day we meet again to contemplate that innocent beauty once again.

I wish you can consider me a friend. I put myself to your service unconditionally. I promise that I will find the way to visit you, but for now I am attending some business out of the country. But I keep your lovely face with me in my mind wherever I go.

I send you a humble present with this letter as a seal of our friendship. I hope you enjoy it. Now I must depart.

Yours friendly,
Roderick Gustemberg,
Duke of Lannishire'

The duke sent with the letter a beautiful pair of leather sandals adorned with pearls and sequins. They were extremely beautiful, and everything but humble. Am felt so flattered for the letter and the gift and immediately she replied sending a letter back, not that romantic, but thanking the gift and his friendship.

Who seemed not too pleased with all the theme of the duke, was Maik. He was lucky because he could see Am every day and be her friend, yet he wished to be in her heart, not only as her best friend. Maik knew he would never be able to compete in elegance and charms with that pompous duke. Deeply in his heart, he was sure that nobody could never love her as he did. He loved her since forever, and this recently emerged duke won't steal Am's love.

Maik knew Am very well to be certain that she didn't care about fancy shoes or elegant gowns... She was unpretentious and natural. The red haired young lady loved the simple things of life he enjoyed too, moreover if they were together. In fact, Am and Maik spent a lot of time together. They had fun going to the woods to pick fresh fruits or sitting my the river to fish together. The best moments were the time spent at the Pillars, where thay sat for hours, sometimes talking nonsense, and others just laying down, face up, staring at the different shapes the clouds made.

Am was unique and she was all his... Furthermore, he thought, he had the lead in this race: a first kiss. Accidentally and confusing, yes... but she chose him to give that tiny kiss, and she knew how he felt for her already and those were merits to consider.