Chapter 5 Unknown Feelings

Summer had been benevolent that year, regaling the region bright and sunny days. Very early in the morning, Amalthea gathered water from the nearby the well. Bucket on shoulders, she walked back home when someone called her. Maik, her best friend, lilted his pace towards hers, beaming a cheerful smile. "Hey, Am, let me help with that", he grabbed the bucket in hands.  "How are you doing today?"

"I'm doing great, Maik. Thank you. Glad to see you back. How was the hunting trip?"

"We've been lucky this time. I caught a huge boar about this size..." Maik almost spilled the water on the floor to show the size of the animal with his arms extended. Maik's cheeks blush to Am's laughing. 

Conversing amiably, both friends arrived to the redhead's cottage. Amalthea opened the door to his friend in. To the slight touch of their skin as Maik walked by her, her cheeks flushed. When Maik and Am's stares locked, she only remembered her las conversation with the girls. The redhead always considered Maik just a friend, but now, as the two of them remained still for a few seconds only looking at each other in silence, something was moved inside of hers. The lovely awkward moment was interrupted when Jocelyn arrived.

"Hello, Maik. What a pleasant surprise! How was the hunting?"

"Oh... ehm, great. It was great." He stuttered.

"Nice to hear so. But, please, leave that bucket on the table and let's sit down to talk." Am's mother greeted Maik. He immediately put the bucket in the kitchen's table and sat down in the living room with Jocelyn and Amalthea.

Jocelyn knew exactly the way Maik's felt about her daughter, like everyone else did, and she believed the boy the most suitable prospective. With Am the thing was different. She said wasn't that enthusiastic in her feelings towards Maik, still her face and mood cheered up when he was around her, no wonder why. A charming young man he was, handsome and well built, light blond short and spiky hair and deep purple eyes. Not only all about his looks, Maik was a fine archer and a skilled hunter, therefore Jocelyn considered him the best option for her daughter and to be honest, they made a lovely couple.

For a few hours they chatted, Maik narrated the events during the hunting mission. How they spent the previous days in the deep forest and in the mountains hunting and fishing. There were always interesting tales resulting from those expeditions in the woods. The group spent three days in the wild, the young man told, being menaced by packs of wolves and bears. He was happy though, they always returned with a fine booth. The animals hunted were enough to be sold and to have a feast in the village.

After having lunch, Maik asked Jocelyn for permission to take Am to for a walk to what she willingly acceded. Am and Maik were very good friends. Besides Maeh, Maik was the person Am enjoyed the most to spend time with, and it was reciprocal. The young couple walked for a few minutes while conversing, sharing a bit of innocent and playful body and eye contact. Maik was funny and caring and the more time they spent together the more fun Am had. She could not understand why she wasn't clear about him. He was a dream of a man. Am cared for him and missed him when he was absent. But that wasn't enough and she was sure it didn't mean to be in love, though she wished to.

After a short walk, they reached their very favorite place, the Pillars. It was a set of stone monoliths placed in a circular pattern that worked either as a solar calendar or a ceremonial site. Seven groups of stones placed in angles or one above two other, carved on the surface with ancient scripts.

Nobody knew for sure when the stones were placed there or why, but it felt so peaceful and serene, like magical. The Pillars were placed atop of a not too steep hill. Time, as a wise artist it is, had added some natural embellishment to the monumental rock columns. Green moss enveloped the stones and ivy dressed them with leaves and colorful flowers. It was surreal, when the sun shone amongst the stone pillars, the scene was ethereal, fairytale like.

As usual, they sat in the middle of the circle formed by the pillars to listen to the sounds of the place, not speaking a word for a moment. Perched on the surrounding trees, the birds chirped sweet melodies and the nearby creek murmured to the river stones in an alluring whispering tone. Above, the soft breeze whistled through the willow's branches and brought with it the smell of blooming flowers. There was something special in the air that day, somehow benign and mystical Am couldn't decipher but sensed it.

Am closed her eyes to take a deep breath. Leaning closer, Maik took Am's hand to gently trace invisible swirls with his fingertips on the skin of her fist. Somehow she knew something like that would happen, her skin tinkling with delight to his touch. Before they've been playing around, holding hands, barefoot running in the woods, enjoying time together. But today it was different, for both. Something sparked, between them. It took no time when Maik stroke her face, a genuine loving smile put on his lips, letting her know exactly how he felt and what he wanted. Spellbind, Am got lost for a second in his amethyst eyes, not moving a muscle, not wanting to.

"Am you know how much I care for you. I consider myself the luckiest man in the world because I have you as my best friend. I cherish these moments I spend with you. You are the most beautiful woman in the world and... you know, we are not kids anymore and my feelings have grown towards you. You know that what I feel deep in my heart. Amalthea, I love you. I want to spend the rest if my life with you. I want you to be my wife." Maik went straight to the point.

It was not like she didn't know Maik's feelings... but this confession left her speechless. She just didn't know what to say or how to react. Their bodies were just a few inches apart, and it felt good to be there with him. Soon shed been proposed by the charming man she'd called best friend. Yes, they were not kids anymore. She was a young man and he was a so gorgeous grown-up man who was in love with her. Am smiled while remained in silence, both holding hands.

Maik's felt his heart hammering inside his chest. He said what he was delaying for so long and he wasn't nervous anymore, just happy, confident that maybe this time he would win her heart.

"Mike, I...", Am's reply was interrupted by someone running up the hill calling up her name out.

"Am! Am! There you are, your mother told me you were... Oh, sorry, do I interrupt?" Thai stood in front the couple panting and holding her chest. After giving a mischievous smirk to Am and Maik, the girl continued talking, "I don't care... Whatever you two were up to has to wait... Am, there is a royal carriage in front of your house, with Vlad and another soldier and the king himself. There is a big commotion down there and they're asking for you."